Premed 101 Forums

Check your email!!!

Guest BCgirl

Guest medicator007

BCGirl and Ethan,

Congratulations on ur interviews!

Feel free to post any questions regarding interviews that you may have, and I'll do my best to answer them as I procrastinate from studying for my GI final this friday!

Cheers,

Medicator

Hi medicator007,

I've only recently discovered this forum and was wondering if you could give me some information about the billeting process at McGill...I've got an interview on the 24th and wanted to know if it's best to stay with a med student the night before my interview...any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks! :)

I didnt get one either :(

ANyways, would those of you who did mind posting your stats? I heard that after you get 3.5/30 they just look at your ref's and essay to decide if you interview, and then they weigh your marks again at the end, but I'm still curious, cause I dont have the greatest stats

P

Hi Petra,

i'm not sure how they selected the interviewees but here are my stats: gpa = 3.9, mcat sum = 34 (9,13,12,R). if you have similar stats, then it's probably just the essay that was the deciding factor...and unfortunately that's pretty subjective. Anyway, hope that helped!

Guest Biochem10

Hi guys, congrats and good luck with your interviews! I have mine tommorrow (it's for MD/PhD..ahh) and I'm really anxious. Anyway, after tommorrow's interview, I'll let you guys know what you can expect.

i'm assuming that information regarding billeting and planned activities will be included with the actual hard copy invitation. my email said i should receive that by the 11th. guess i'll have to wait and see.

ethan

Hey Petra,

Here are my stats: gpa 3.98 (by the OMSAS scale), MCAT 36Q (11, 12, 13). I also heard that after a cetain GPA and MCAT score they invite applicants for interviews based on the lors and essay.

hmm, yeah, my gpa is 3.57 b/c of my first year :( , mcat 33Q(11,11,11). I think for OOP they may be more discriminatory in terms of marks?? but hey, it was worth a shot!!

Anyways, congats on your interviews guys!!!

Guest Biochem10

Hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know that the interview was very relaxed and informal. Don't stress out too much, I didn't get any really difficult questions, mostly just questions to elaborate on my essay. Good luck.

Guest UPENN2003

Dear all,

I am a Canadian (Ontario) student at the University of Pennsylvania. I have my MD/PhD interview on the 21st. BCgirl and ethan, do you plan on participating in the Saturday activities? Perhaps I'll meet you guys then.....

Biochem10 or Medicator, do you guys know how the funding works for the MD/PhD program at McGill? In the States, upon enrollment students get a tuition waiver and a stipend each year. Is this how it works at McGill also? I couldn't find any info on this on the website.

Thank you,

hi UPENN2003,

i won't be getting into montreal until saturday evening, but depending upon how late the festivities continue on i may be able to catch with the crowd.

best of luck

ethan

UPENN,

I'm going to try to get to Montreal sometime early Saturday, so I should be going to some of the evening events.

ethan -- are you billeting or staying in a hotel? It's -21°C in Montreal today.... and I find Nova Scotia cold :(

Guest Biochem10

Hey UPENN, good luck with your interview! As far as funding goes, the first year and half of medical school are not covered. You can apply for a CIHR scholarship in your second year. The scholarship covers tuition + stipend for 6 years (4 years of PhD and clerkship). It's not as good a deal as you would get with the MSTP programs in the states, but at least in Canada you'll get more hands-on experience during clerkship. Hope that helps.

BCgirl,

i'm planning on billeting. i figure there's no better way to get the full mcgill experience. as for the details of my arrangements, they are currently in limbo. how about yourself?

as for the weather, being from saskatchewan, -21 would feel almost balmy :P .

Guest medicator007

G'day Folks,

I'll try and answer as many questions as possible.

1) MD/PhD funding... i honestly have NO idea.... thought it would appear that Biochem10 gave a fairly good rundown on the matter.

2) Biochem10... glad to hear that you found the interview process fairly relaxed today and to ALL you can rest assured that by and large (though there are always exceptions) the interviews here at McGill are very informal and relaxed. Generally devoid of those "out to get you" questions or very controversial ethical quandries. Biochem10, you interviewed today, right? Did you by chance get a tour of the histo and anatomy labs today with KT?

3) Billeting... I know that a number of Med1's have volunteered to host OOP and international students (I would have, but my commute to school is bad enough for me!). I would imagine that in the hard copy of your letter you should be receiving further details as to the nature of this arrangement

4) Activities... I am fairly certain that a number of activities including tours of the school and city, faculty lunches, dinner with some med 1's has been arranged for the interview weekend period and that adequate details will be included in your letters.

5) temperature.. -21..... balmy :D

6) As for the manner in which interviews are granted. The absolute minimum as stated on the website is a CGPA of 3.5 and an MCAT total of over 30. That being said I would imagine that given the nature of the OOP applicant pool the acutal requirements might be higher in order to snag an interview. I do NOT KNOW if your autobiographical letter or letters of reference come into play at this point. sorry

Hope i addressed all the questions, feel free to post any of your other concerns and I will do what I can to get to them as soon as possible!

Cheers and congrats to those who got interviews! Looking forward to seeing you at McGill.

Medicator

Guest UPENN2003

Hey Biochem10,

Thanks for your reply. That really helped.

Could you please elaborate on what you said,

".....but at least in Canada you'll get more hands-on experience during clerkship."

maybe an example or something..

Thanks

Guest Biochem10

Hey UPENN, what i meant by my post was that one of my interviewers at McGill was saying that insurance for clerks in the US is ridiculously expensive because of malpractice suits, so they essentially don't let clerks get very much hands-on experience to avoid malpractice and expensive insurance. In Canada, I believe, clerks are allowed to participate more fully in procedures, rather than just take patient histories and observe.

Medicator, my interview was on Monday, we actually didn't get a tour of the labs because all the candidates on Monday were McGill students, so we all know the facilities pretty well. We did get to have lunch with 3 MD/PhD students, which was nice because we got to ask a lot of questions and get a student's perspective of the program. Overall it was a good experience, except now I'm second-guessing my answers in the interview. Sometimes having an informal interview causes you to open up a little too much! Not only that but one of my interviewers seemed indifferent to my answers, so that worried me a bit :rolleyes .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Biochem10

Hi UPENN, seeing as your interview is this Friday I just wanted to wish you good luck. I hope you enjoy your weekend in Montreal, the weather's actually not too bad right now (I think it's lingering around -5C today). Have you received an interview schedule by e-mail yet? It would be nice to hear your impressions when you return back home. Take Care, biochem10. :D

Guest candybits

I haven't been to this site in months, but already it's that time again for the interviews! Wow, good luck on your interview tomorrow!

I think there are a ton of activities planned out for this weeked to welcome the opp applicants. I'm definitely going to Tokyo bar tomorrow nite!

Anyways, best wishes! :D

Archived