Premed 101 Forums

Social Life

Could some current Ottawa med students please help me get a feel for what the social atmosphere is like at Ottawa U, i.e. is the class a cohesive unit, what do students like to do on weekday nights and weekends, do students often go out as a large group or in small cliques, do you mostly go out downtown or is there much to do around RGN, is it an issue socially (in terms of getting together/meeting up) that half the students seem to live around RGN and the other half near main campus, what is the sports/recreation/intramural scene like for med students (i.e. does alot of the class get (highly) involved)?

Thanks in advance.

Could some current Ottawa med students please help me get a feel for what the social atmosphere is like at Ottawa U, i.e. is the class a cohesive unit, what do students like to do on weekday nights and weekends, do students often go out as a large group or in small cliques, do you mostly go out downtown or is there much to do around RGN, is it an issue socially (in terms of getting together/meeting up) that half the students seem to live around RGN and the other half near main campus, what is the sports/recreation/intramural scene like for med students (i.e. does alot of the class get (highly) involved)?

Thanks in advance.

There's tons of opportunities for social. Students go out both in large and small groups, depending on the night. There's a block party after every exam where the class goes out together as a big group. There's lots of yearly events, like med ball, Tremblant ski/social trip, holiday diners, birthdays, etc., where people also get together in one large group. Then there's the somewhat smaller gatherings (ie <20 ppl), you can go out as often as you'd like. You can suggest an activity, send it in the daily email, and lots of people will surely be interested. A group of people usually chooses to go down south for Spring Break together. There are extra-curricular groups for most things you could think of, and if there's something missing just make up a group yourself. Some organised activities included yoga, wine tastings, camping trips, etc. Lots of people play sports, mostly recreatively, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

There isn't much to do around RGN except house parties. Most people go downtown, that's where all the nightlife is. It's not an issue though, downtown is like a 10-15 min ride, and you can always sleep over somewhere or share a cab back. To get there, there's usually enough people with cars that you can hitch a ride with someone, if not you can easily take the bus/shuttle.

Archived