Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisite question

So on the website it states you must have:

" the equivalent of two full-year courses (or four semester courses) of the following Chemistry courses: i) General Biochemistry without laboratory session; ii) General Chemistry with laboratory session; iii) Organic Chemistry with laboratory session."

I have 2 semesters of biochem, one semester of the gen chem and one semester of the organic chem. Would this be okay?

Or do they mean you need to have each block? So I would need to have the entire biochem block (2 courses which I have) and the entire gen chem block (I have one of the two mentioned courses), meaning I can't mix and match (i.e have one course from the orgo requirement and one from the gen chem requirement like I do?).

Am I making any sense here?

So on the website it states you must have:

" the equivalent of two full-year courses (or four semester courses) of the following Chemistry courses: i) General Biochemistry without laboratory session; ii) General Chemistry with laboratory session; iii) Organic Chemistry with laboratory session."

I have 2 semesters of biochem, one semester of the gen chem and one semester of the organic chem. Would this be okay?

Or do they mean you need to have each block? So I would need to have the entire biochem block (2 courses which I have) and the entire gen chem block (I have one of the two mentioned courses), meaning I can't mix and match (i.e have one course from the orgo requirement and one from the gen chem requirement like I do?).

Am I making any sense here?

I have 2 courses in biochem (one semester each) and 1 full year general chem and i was told in the fall prior to submitting my application that that was acceptable

i do have a question too though...in the prereq's it also says "one full year course in Humanities or Social Sciences (or two semester courses in separate disciplines)" and then it says "Second language courses are not recognized towards the Humanities or Social Sciences prerequisites."....has this always been the case because I don't remember seeing this additional sentence in the past (it also does not say this in the OMSAS instructional booklet)...any thoughts?

You just need 4 semester courses from those categories, i.e. you're fine with the courses you've listed as having. Make sure that your gen chem and orgo have labs though.

You just need 4 semester courses from those categories, i.e. you're fine with the courses you've listed as having. Make sure that your gen chem and orgo have labs though.

I second this, I think you'll be fine. I had 1 full year gen chem (with labs) & 1 half orgo (distance ed, but with lab done on site) and 1 half biochem and it was ok. To be 100% sure there has been no change this year, you could contact them, but I wouldn't be worried at this point.

Archived