Premed 101 Forums

white coat ceremony?

the white coat ceremony is a massive line/crowd trying to buy your white coat from Janet's uniform people during O-week.

We trade off white coat ceremonies for getting our white coats on and being in the hospitals learning in the first month.

true, i would definitely trade off the ceremony for getting in the hospital during the first month! Thanks for the response.

Really? there's no white coat ceremony at all? I heard there was a professional ethics (not sure what it was called) ceremony where they introduce the incoming class.

Would be good to know incase out of town parents want to stay for that.

Really? there's no white coat ceremony at all? I heard there was a professional ethics (not sure what it was called) ceremony where they introduce the incoming class.

Would be good to know incase out of town parents want to stay for that.

Ha. There are no reasons for parents to be around for anything during orientation.

The closest thing to a welcoming ceremony is your naming ceremony 2 weeks into school where we give you guys your class name.

But you don't want your parents around for that.

There is a "Welcome to the Profession" ceremony a few weeks into medical school, but that's well past orientation. It's not an exciting photo opportunity for parents—no trotting out on stage, no putting on white coats, etc.—so there's no sense for out of town parents to attend. There is a small reception afterwards.

There is an event called "Balance Night" which is in the first couple weeks of medical school which is intended for families, significant others. I can't remember if it's held during orientation/right after, or a little later. It might be a little too separated from orientation for out of town parents to attend without some hassle of more travel.

Archived