Premed 101 Forums

Approaching professors (research/volunteering etc)

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you guys go about approaching professors for volunteering or paid lab positions.

I'm kind of shy, and haven't gotten to know any professors this past year (first year for me), I'd love to get some lab experience by the end of second year and continue it through into the summer.

How did you guys get to know your professors? Did you drop by office hours? Any ideas on how to approach them?

Thank you!

I send an email to a prof I heard was doing research that I was interested in (but I never actually had him as a prof). In the email, I basically said that I knew he was doing research in "X" and I'm really interested in X. I then asked if he had room in his lab for me to assist in X research. I also made it clear that I really wanted to meet with them to discuss their work. Then we met in person and I ended up working in his lab for almost 3 years.

Just make the effort to connect with the prof and show a genuine interest in their work. I did it via email because then I could be sure to meet with them at a specific time when they weren't busy. Honestly, the worst they'll do is say "no" and then you just contact someone else.

I think you should first make a decision as to what type of research you want to do and approach the prof whose work interests you most (research can be very tedious if you don't like what you are doing). Once you've made a list of profs you want to work with, go to their offices and politely ask them if they would be willing to take you on as a volunteer/paid student. I feel that asking a prof directly is a good approach and you are more likely to get a favourable response. I know that it might be a bit difficult to ask b/c you feel shy (I have the same problem), but don't be afraid to simply visit a few profs and ask them personally.

I found that working in a lab and participating in research is very rewarding and this type of experience gives you the opportunity to develop a whole new set of skills - if you're not too busy this summer you still have time to get some lab experience (albeit as a volunteer). Good luck!

Just go talk to them! Email or stop by and tell them that you're interested in research ask if there's a time that you could you meet with them to talk about what they work on and any opportunities they might have to get involved. Don't be nervous because most professors love to talk about their research and it makes them really happy to have an undergrad want to talk research rather than grades or administrative things. Keep in mind though that they may not have a lot of funding for undergrads, so they might want you to work as a volunteer for several semesters before they'll offer you a paid position.

Yea I mainly sent out e-mails specifically to the professors who had the most interesting and most appealing research interests to me. I got into a lab with a new professor and am currently volunteering for the summer and probably will take on a directed research course under him in the upcoming year.

Archived