Premed 101 Forums

just beginning

Guest s

so, i am a junior at a college in the U.S.with a GPA of a 3.5 and MCAT of 30...do you think it's worth applying to Montreal for medical school? I have a lot of hospital experience and volunteering and go to a very decent college. I was a little worried when I saw that 3.9/31 was wait-listed, but my pre-med advisor seems to think that it's not impossible that i might get in. What do you think (honestly)? There's so much about McGill that seems ideal for me....

Guest kazoo

You certainly have a chance to be invited for an interview. McGill doesn't discriminate academically based on GPA or MCAT scores until after the interview stage. As long as you meet the minimum 3.5/30 cutoffs, your application will be considered for an interview invitation based solely on the strength of your autobiographical letter and references.

Go habs.

does anyone know the percentages/average scores of US students accepted to McGill? I know there are spots reserved for foreign students, but how many people generally apply, what are their scores, etc?

Guest kazoo

Some stats for u:

Mean GPA: 3.73

Mean MCAT: 31.17

(From year 2000, includes in-province, OOP, and international applicants. Source: McGill website)

Number of American applicants: 134

Number of Admission Offers to Americans: 39

(From 1999. Source: "Admission Requirements of Canadian Faculties of Medicine" Association of Canadian Medical Colleges)

Like I mentioned before, it's worthwhile to apply if you meet the minimum academic cutoffs of 3.5/30. You have the opportunity to be selected for an interview based solely on the strength of your letter/references. The vast majority of Americans interviewed at McGill are eventually offered admission, either initially or off the waiting list.

Guest RoMoCoco

Hi,

I am an American in waiting. Does McGill initially send out all 39 of its acceptances, or does that figure include the ~20 initial acceptances as well as additional offers made to waitlistees. Also, do you know of many "foreign" students that eventually did get in from the waitlist and when they found out? I'd appreciate anymore insight you may have on the process. Thank you!!!

Guest kazoo

I only have the stats for Americans for 1999, as follows:

Deferred Admission: 3

Turned Down Offer: 16

----

Total Admission Offers: 39

Firstly....thanks, kazoo, for your encouragement and information.

Secondly...RoMoCoco...can I ask what interested you about McGill? Do you live far from Canada (I'm from PA, so...) and was that a concern for you? I've certainly thought about these things and have my own ideas, but I thought I'd ask you since you obviously have remained interested enough in McGill to pursue the entire application process. Where else did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? If you have any advice on the application process, please let me know!!

thanks...

Guest RoMoCoco

Well I'm even further away than you (Georgia!), but I loved McGill so much, the distance has never been an issue. Plus, cost-wise, McGill is a deal compared to American schools like Emory right next door to me. Have you visited Montreal yet? You should definitely apply, you won't regret it!

Advice...start on you personal statement early, even the one page one for US schools can take so long to get perfected. Good luck! Oh! Save money too, applications are expensive!

Guest medicator007

Romococo,

Thanks for your kind words about the city of Montreal. I have spent some time in conferences in an around georgia (savannah and atlanta) and can tell you that you too have a great state. As for anyone applying to come to McGill from south of the Border I can tell you that the few americans who were in biology with me in undergrad absolutely adored this city and are currently working on ways to ensure that they can stay here now that they are done.

Nice scenery....

Gorgeous campus, though the hill can get messy in winter...

World Class night life....

It's all good!

Best of luck in getting this fall and hope to see you!

Cheers,

Medicator007

Guest PeterHill0501

Although I currently live in Ottawa, I grew up and spent the first 20 years of my life in Montreal. Montreal is truly one of the greatest cities anywhere in the world. I have travelled extensively throughout the globe and Montreal still remains number one or two (Ottawa is also extremely beautiful) in my books, depending on the day. I think the best part of Montreal, aside from the wicked night life, is the cultural diversity. Anybody who says Francophone culture doesn't cause Quebec to be unique has never lived in Quebec or hasn't lived the contrast yet. I envy people who, at this point in their lives, are able to live in Quebec. Unfortunately, due to family circumstances (my wife is opening up a Family practice in August) I cannot at this time live in La Belle Province.

To those of you who get accepted into meds in Montreal...have a great time and take advantage of all the great things Montreal, Quebec and the Francophone culture have to offer.

Peter

Ian-

in another forum (Entering Canada to Practice Medicine), you listed the potential problems of re-entering the States for residencies (ie performance on the USMLE's). I'm not sure yet where I'll want to do my residencies if I attend medical school in Canada, but there's definitely a chance that I'll want to return to the US. My question is if those problems are as robust when taking the Step 1 from McGill, which seems to be more closely related to American medical schools that most of the other Canadian school. What do you think? Do you (or does anything else) know the match rate for American students coming from McGill? I remember reading 87% first choice somewhere, but that might have been for all students, not just Americans....

ok, thanks!

s

Guest Ian Wong

No idea. I would talk to the people at McGill and see how the past track record has been for their graduates in the past. I suspect that you'd still do okay (since there's just so many more residency spots in the US on a numerical basis), but best to talk to them directly.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 4 months later...

May I ask what the McGill application consists of?

It has switched to an online format, so I have yet to start.

But I have completed other school apps (ie Mac, Queens). I was wondering if I could 'cut and paste' bits and pieces of my other apps into the McGill app.?

Is it the type of app that would allow me to do so?

Also, I've heard that you need 2 science profs as references? What if they don't know you as well as someone else, say your research supervisor?

Thanx

Guest medicator007

Permit me share some insight,

The online component of the application is rather scant. Essentially you just enter your personal information and academic background online. The essay is NOT done online, you must send them in 4 copies of ur autobiographical statement written according to the guidelines on their website http://www.med.mcgill.ca .

As for the references, the statement is that at least one and preferably two of the letters of reference should be from professors. No need for it to be a science prof either!

Hope this helps.. feel free to post any more questions!

Medicator

Archived