Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted twice :(

Guest Lara F

Guest Lara F

Let's just say I'm not a happy camper today...after being unsuccessfully on the waiting list last year, I reapplied and had what I felt were substantially better interviews. But I wound up being exactly where I was a year ago, on the bottom half of the waiting list. :( Has this happened to anyone else?

• 1 year later...
Guest dfenst

I am waitlisted (top half) and it is my first year applying, but I think I can empathize. I have enough rejection letters from US and other Canadian schools to cover my fridge several times over.

By any chance, do you know how many people usually get in off the waiting list?

Good Luck.

Guest McGillMed06

Hey people -

I have heard that the waitlist does move. Although most people do take their spots (especially the in-province), the Quebec government usually opens up more seats to the med class every summer. Last year I think they opened up likle 8-10 seats. It is really a year-to-year thing. Remember, it is the government, not Mcgill that dictates the number of seats. I wish you all the best of luck on the list. I know how hard it must be to have the waiting game continue. I hope you all make it in and I meet you all in August.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lara

Geez, things change in a year... :) I guess I should update by saying that I was accepted to med school in Philadelphia (Temple University) and am actually typing from campus since I'm in a special summer program! So I will be a doctor and I guess someone above was telling me to finally live outside Montreal LOL. Still sucks that there couldn't be more spots available (especially considering the physician shortage), but that's how it goes...

Guest candybits

Lara, are you an American resident by any chance?

My application at Temple was turned down because I was told that they don't admit international applicants... just wondering...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lara F

Candybits, I have dual US/Canadian citizenship. (Without it, I'd never have been able to take out loans and afford the tuition!)

Good luck at McGill. :) I'm heading back to Montreal this Saturday for about a month, and that's it...pretty freaky.

Archived