Premed 101 Forums

what's everyone doing before the orientation starts??

Guest candybits

Guest candybits

Wow, just realized how it reallly is DEAD in here... maybe we could get another thread going and see what everyone is up to before the class starts in August?

Right now, I'm in Korea visiting some family and enjoying every moment of the World Cup madness here. It's awesome! Next week, I'm going on a little trip to Guam with my family and after that heading back to Montreal. I have to start packing and move into my new apt. So, anyone else? :)

Guest medicator007

I'm very jealous that u get to experience world cup fever first hand... though i did manage to catch some matches in the US back in 1994 (not quite the same though!).

I am working at a beach this summer in what may be my last opportunity to have a "free" summer.... oh well.....

Guest McGillMed06

Does anyone know what goes on during orientation? I heard that it is not run by the department, rather by the students. Does anyone know what is plannned? Does it also run onto the weekend before the the 19th?

Guest medicator007

From what I hear:

On the 14th, you register and attend a speach by the dean and that the remainder of the orientation (length unknown) is indeed run by the students and serves as a frosh/get to know everyone/initiation... should be interesting ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rayjaykay

Hey everyone! Medical school, wow. I will be travelling a little bit this summer, will be in Montreal most of summer. I've graduated from Bishop's U. and other than a good pal (also from B.U.) I don't know anyone else attending mcgill med., I'm assuming a majority of entering students did undergrad at mcgill, just curious. Nevertheless, I can't wait till orientation, I'm sure its going to be wild. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest letsgoexpos

No posts in here in awhile....

Hi guys,

Been monitoring this forum for some time, decided to introduce myself. I'm in for the 4-yr MD program too....how y'all doin?

My summer is so relaxing, its going to be hard to do much of anything. No work, no travel, no commitments: just pure, unadulterated relaxation. I can't go outside though...blackflies will eat me (I live in the far reaches of northern Quebec). Other than spending time at my summer cottage and trying to break personal records for hours spent sleeping in one day/week/month, etc, I've been thinking about the upcoming year. I've come to one conclusion....these are probably going to be the best darn four years we'll ever have. I'm looking forward to a top-notch orientation week and to seeing some new and some familiar faces at school this year. Its going to be most excellent to be finally doing the thing we all set out to do in the first place...oh well, so much for that B. Sc....

anyway, lets try and keep a communication thread going...is everybody all set up for next year for apartments and living quarters and stuff?...what do you guys think about what this year is going to be like?...anybody else assaulted by black flies/mosquitos this summer?

hoping to hear some more noise...Steve

Guest medicator007

Glad to see that there are in fact other people on this forum. Whereabouts are you hanging in the extreme north of our province, as i spent some time out in schefferville a while back doing some teaching.

I think the next 4 years are going to be really intense, but i'm hoping that our class will really come together early on so that it won't be so bad.

So what do u think about this new legal case regarding our ailing 'spos

medicator

Guest rosie7172

nice to see some interaction in here!

Steve & el Medicator- I can`t say that I am the biggest baseball fan, and I will admit to being slightly afraid of getting knocked unconscious by falling chunks of stadium, but perhaps we will all go see a game as part of the orientation/frosh/getting to know each other game...

I am getting really excited as Aug 14th draws near, and I can imagine everyone else feels the same way!

ps- I am still pushing for a Sunday at the Tams! :rollin

Guest medicator007

Rosie,

I myself am not at all a huge baseball fan, though before you brought it up I had almost forgotten about that large concrete block that had fallen.... "The olympics can no sooner run a deficit that i can become pregnant!" only in montreal! and then we name a park after the guy, for what...being the first pregnant man.

I am at the same time excited and nervous for august 14th. On one hand this is the beginning of something I (and likely you) have wanted/dreamed of for a very long time. On the other hand I am a little apprehensive of beginning because i know full well that this is going to be incredibly difficult. Oh well, at least i know I am going have some friends to go through this with as I consume vast amounts of coffee in an attempt to learn what we need to regurgitate on our exams.

Heck, it cant be as bad as Bronze! The sub club will prevail....haha :eek

P.S. I have heard alot about this sunday at the tams, alas even the true montrealer that i am... i have not been!

EL MEDICATOR :hat

Guest rosie7172

Never been to the tams?

Sunday afternoon at the tams is the epitome of a relaxing summer day. People of every age and background (babies, elderly folk, goths, gymnasts... I mean everyone) gather on the mountain and do everything from read on the grass, to play frisbee, act out renaissance fight scenes, show off their pets (some strange ones really), and some guy who seemed to be blessing people in a wooden barrel using a giant ice cube... don't ask... I just watched...

There are vendors selling hippy-ish clothing and jewelry, doing henna tattoos, and artsy stuff.

The tams kind of revolve around the huge gathering of bongo drummers seated at the base of the statue on the mountain (don't know the name of the statue) all drumming together. It goes on for hours, and drummers come and go all day. Lots of people dance along, others watch, but all in all, it really is amazing to see and hear. Everyone should go at least once.

I figured it would be a really nice place to enjoy a day out in the sun with a new group of people. Heck, if no one wants to come along, I'll still be there...

rosie

Guest candybits

Hey Steve,

I totally know what you're talking about when it comes to sleeping in... I'm pretty much settled into my new apt (just moved in this month) but sooo very bored out of my mind that I've allowed myself to wake up wayyy past noon for the past week or so. I know that I sound like a lazy bum but then when do I get to do this if not before the school starts?

And Rosie,

I go to the tams tams pretty regularly these days. When I'm not sleeping, I just go for a casual jog around the Mont Royal area and I always end up there inevitably around the statue area... pretty fun to watch all the activities going on.

Anyways... hope you guys are having a more productive/fun summer then I am.

Christina ^_^

Guest dfenst

I'll be at the Tams tomorrow around 11 am with some friends from DC. We'll be the ones with the frisbee and guitar. Hope to see y'all there.

Dan :)

Archived