Premed 101 Forums

About the second undergrad

Hi guys I have a questions about the second undergrad and medicine admission.

I did really bad in 1st undergrad, but I still did not give up the hope..

I am planning to do another undergrad, but still confused whether I am really going to do this.. Here are some questions about the second undergrad..

Do medicine schools care about the cGPA in first degree..? if they don't, is it possible to tell me the some examples of schools that do not care at all.

Also, if I am really going to do second degree, I am planning to finish it in 2 years (I finished science degree in western. My second degree will be also Science double major in western. I can finish it within 2 years because I took most of prerequisites) Is it still ok? or do I really need to finish the degree in 4 years with full time course load..?

Thanks for reading my post and happy summer vacation..

hey just want to check something here..u did a science degree orginally right, are u sure you able to complete a second degree in science at Western. The reason why I am asking is because at UfT if you do an initial degree in science you are uanble to do a second degree HBSC it would have to be an arts degree. So just want to make sure that you looked into that.

You can do business. I'm starting my second degree and I cannot do a business or economics degree (however, I can transfer business courses from my BBA and turn it into a minor for the second degree). You cannot do a second degree in the same department as your first.

It really depends on the university. Some universities allow you to do a second degree of the same type, as long as your major is different. Some don't.

I have a degree in biological engineering from the U of Guelph. I'm attending the U of Alberta this fall. Now, at U of A, I wouldn't be able to do another engineering degree, but I can do any other degree (I've chosen one that will give me a health-care alternative: dietetics).

Also at U of A, if you have one B.Sc., you can complete another B.Sc. degree as long as you study a different major and aren't studying something in your major that you previously took as a minor. Other universities have similar regulations.

So really, it varies by university. Best thing to do it to check the university calendar, or, as the OP is doing, discuss things with a counsellor. Obviously, the counsellor will know the regulations for their particular university (or at least they should!)

Interesting.. I had a long conversation with the science councellor about the second undergrad. Now, I am really confused :S

If you're applying for a second degree then the application route is usually different from the one highschool grads would apply through so I'm assuming you brought up your first degree at the meeting. If the guidance counselor knew your previous degree and also knew what you were interested in applying to, and didn't say anything explicitly (i.e. "Oh I see you have biology degree and want to apply for chemistry THATS IMPOSSIBLE") then you're probably fine.

If you're applying for a second degree then the application route is usually different from the one highschool grads would apply through so I'm assuming you brought up your first degree at the meeting. If the guidance counselor knew your previous degree and also knew what you were interested in applying to, and didn't say anything explicitly (i.e. "Oh I see you have biology degree and want to apply for chemistry THATS IMPOSSIBLE") then you're probably fine.

Yeah.. during the meeting, I think I explained everything about my situation. She was even reading my transcript. So I am guessing it is possible at least in UWO. Thanks guys!

Archived