Premed 101 Forums

Current Events

Do you think what Dr. Poon did was wrong?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think what Dr. Poon did was wrong?

• Yes, of course! He should loose his license!
    • Yes, somewhat since he made the women uncomfortable
    • Maybe, depends on how you see it
    • No, he isn't. Those women are just exaggerating
    • No comment. Will wait till trail's over

Wow, this university forum is pretty inactive! So, I thought that maybe we could discuss current news or something related to medicine?

I'm from Regina so I only know news from Leader post. So I'll begin there.

Current hot med issue is the trail of Dr.Edward Poon who is a 60 year old doctor who is accused of sexually assaulting six female patients during medical examinations at his Clinic in Golden Mile.

What I think: I know people will disagree but he will most likely just be considered innocent since there are no laws in sask about proper examination procedures and other facts. He might still get sessions in proper procedures or something else. What's your take?

is this seriously a question

when you say that, do you mean that it's so obvious that he should be punished and that it's not really a question?

That's true but it is possible that he was just doing a through examination to make sure he doesn't miss anything but the women felt assulted and took it to the police.

If your other meaning was, "what's the point of this post?" then the answer is that this could be a place where educated student can discuss some medical issues occuring in the province. Who knows, it might help in the MMI's!

no I meant that it is ridiculous to even question that this guy should not be charged or to treat it as though it isn't that big of a deal. Mainly considering whoever posted this post clearly voted for the option that it "made women feel uncomfortable". sexual assault does not just make women feel uncomfortable sexual assault is a serious issues with devastating consequences. It is absolutely ignorant to choose any other option.

no I meant that it is ridiculous to even question that this guy should not be charged or to treat it as though it isn't that big of a deal. Mainly considering whoever posted this post clearly voted for the option that it "made women feel uncomfortable". sexual assault does not just make women feel uncomfortable sexual assault is a serious issues with devastating consequences. It is absolutely ignorant to choose any other option.

You also need to keep in mind that we live in a litigious society. One needs look no further then the examples of people suing McDonald's because they spilled their coffee on themself. Unfortunate as it is, some people may just see an opportunity for a payday.

That in mind, I think it is very important for it to be investigated by the authorities when claims like this come up. It shouldn't be hard to find similarities in the victims stories, and if they are far beyond what entails a typical vaginal exam then he should be punished (how severely depends on the transgression).

I don't think the man should be villified until there is actual proof however. It may indeed be that the women were unaware of what the procedure entails, or perhaps he didn't explain it well enough before conducting it, which has led to them believing that they were assaulted.

I do think them coming forward is a good thing in either case though. This might shed light onto a deficiency in patient communication, or it may unmask a history of doctors assaulting patients encouraging others to come forward.

As for your statement that it's "ignorant to choose any other option", I'll suggest that it's ignorant to form an opinion like that on the limited facts you possess.

the limited facts I posses... the testimony of 6 women blatantly describing inappropriate conduct both physically and verbally is not limited facts. Maybe you should read what some of the women have said and how Dr. White associate dean of the U of S has testified that there are no medical procedures which would cause such actions.

and yes I'm sure these 6 women are really just looking for compensation. Sexual assault is in not in the least comparable to people suing McDonalds because of their negligence

I'm just saying jumping to conclusions isn't ever the best thing to do in these situations. If he is guilty (which if what you say is true, then he likely is), then the court will do its due dilligence and find that verdict.

The McDonald's example was merely to provide evidence of today's litigious society. I am also in no way suggesting these women are coming forward of sexual assault claims with an alterior motive of a civil suit. There ARE examples of that happening with other malpractice claims though - although perhaps sexual assault with its sensitive nature is a different situation.

My stance is that no matter how much information has been leaked, you just don't know the full story. I'd prefer to reserve judgement until the court has done all the research and rendered a verdict. How would you feel if you were accused of somethign and were lynched because of it when the accusation wasn't true?

Archived