Premed 101 Forums

Medicine after Law at McGill.

roflolmao

Hi,

Considering the Law program at McGill is difficult in a considerable measure - and that in more than 80% of cases it requires the admitted students to have completed at least one undergraduate degree - how much will that be taken into account for admission in med ?

It is nearly impossible to obtain A's, consequently making the 3.5-candidate-competitiveness score just as impossible. I have called the admissions office, and their response was that it would indeed be taken into account... however, I have no evaluation grid whatsoever to compare...

Furthermore, would the application to the MD-MBA program make my Law studies any more relevant ?

Thank !:D

This might sound paradoxal, but I think it will only be taken in account if your grades are above the cut-offs. McGill is flexible on the grades but they do, I believe, have some minimal requirements such as the 3.5ish GPA that you have to meet. Once this is done, the fact that you studied law will have a great effect on your application. It will also make your personal statement clearer as well as your interviews easier.

If I had a LLB I would definately try to aim the MD-MBA program since it would be a great way to integrate your law degree in the medical field.

Finally, I know how hard the law degree is and I congratulate you to be part of that program. But never forget that in the eyes of the admissions, a degree is almost useless if you didn't do well in it.

Good luck :)

There are law graduates studying med, Karma comes to mind, she is entering her 2nd year med @ Laval. Engineering is challenging too and high grades are hard to come by. As you are aware, for getting into professional school, competiveness is the key factor and grades are always a consideration. The french speaking med schools look at the difficulty of the program of study and how you have done relative to your peers in the program. A sibling just obtained an LL.B. cum laude which actually did not require excessive work, rather studying and writing assignments 'smart', so it is doable.

Market yourself well and to advantage at McGill and you will get the interview, and then you need to score competitively on the MMI. For the French schools, no marketing, simply apply, send in your transcripts and wait.

Going for the MDCM-MBA will not give you any advantage in the application process, do so if this is what you want, each faculty has their own admission process.

Food for thought. Having once obtained your law degree, there may be an advantage ot invest the extra year, do the 4 month Bar course, write the exam and get articling out of the way, so you can join the Bar. If you don't do it on graduation, you never will. Being a member of the Bar and a medical practitioner will be a major advantage, not only will you be able to plead, but you can decide one day to cross the road and become a legal practitioner handling medical cases. I wish you the best of luck!

Hi,

Considering the Law program at McGill is difficult in a considerable measure - and that in more than 80% of cases it requires the admitted students to have completed at least one undergraduate degree - how much will that be taken into account for admission in med ?

It is nearly impossible to obtain A's, consequently making the 3.5-candidate-competitiveness score just as impossible. I have called the admissions office, and their response was that it would indeed be taken into account... however, I have no evaluation grid whatsoever to compare...

Furthermore, would the application to the MD-MBA program make my Law studies any more relevant ?

Thank !:D

seriously, do you have nothing to do? Meds after Law? Wasting half your life in school is retarded. go out and get a life.

seriously, do you have nothing to do? Meds after Law? Wasting half your life in school is retarded. go out and get a life.

I'm not sure where all this hate come from. Personally, I enjoy being at school (funnier than work) and I would not feel like I would have wasted my life. You get to learn a lot of things, and even in these tough programs, you still have free time for other activities you know.

My first thoughts is that obtaining a LLB could give you opportunities once you are a MD.

We don't have much information about your grades, but for sure, if you don't make the cut-off, your application won't reach the admission. If you think medicine is really made for you (which is, in my opinion, hard to know without a few science courses), you'll have to decide between doing a bachelor degree or pursue in law.

I guess what he did was smart,EVEN if he gets rejected in Med,he can always become a Lawyer instead of a Laboratory Technician making peanuts straight out BioMed.

It's always good to aim in "long-term",after all,a Bachelor isn't THAT bad before Med,considering most Canadian schools outside Quebec and U.S. need a Bachelor from you.

Correct me if i'm wrong :D

Novus is right, and you my friend, you're either extremely wrong and uninformed, or you're a troll, so you shouldn't deserve much attention.

My fellow premeders deceive me...Obviously a person who starts their sentence without a capital letter and abbreviates medecine down to meds (what's the s for?) is a troll. Either that or he/she is french (just kidding :D ).

I'm 19 years old and I got into law straight from Cegep... So it can act as an undergraduate degree... Since medicine was what i was really aiming for, and that I thought I could find interest in Law, i figured I'll start off with that... and given that after having completed my Law degree I would still want to be in medicine, in that case, I would apply... I wouldn't be wasting my time in any way since in 50% of cases you need an undergraduate degree to get admitted in medicine in Quebec.

go out and get a life.

Seriously ? Is that how you spend "your" time ? If you don't think it's possible to be academically successful and have a life, then I understand why you're such frustrated troll: you must have neither.

I wouldn't be wasting my time in any way since in 80% of cases you need an undergraduate degree to get admitted in medicine in Quebec.

In Quebec I wouldn't say 80%. I don't know the figures but it's more like 40%.

But still, you wouldn't be wasting your time. Time is really only wasted when you're in a coma.

people, please be aware that after medical school you have MINIMAL knowlege, just the bare basics. It takes years of training in residency and in practice to feel confident.

the reason i am saying this is that most premeds on this board think that after medical school (once u have ur md) u can become a medical legal practioneer etc etc, etc,,,,,

Plan on another 5-7 years of resideny where the real training begins. Believe me, i am in this residency! It takes A LONG TIME!

food for thought.

I'm 19 years old and I got into law straight from Cegep... So it can act as an undergraduate degree... Since medicine was what i was really aiming for, and that I thought I could find interest in Law, i figured I'll start off with that...

And if you are going to McGill where you obtasin the B.C.L./LL.B. and not going to Sherby which has an arrangement with Queen's for the LL.B. - shouldd you not get into medicine on your first try, note that U/Ottawa have a terrific one year bilingual LL.B. Common Law - National Program. :)

Archived