Premed 101 Forums

Fitness Centre!

Guest scream007

Guest scream007

HI Everybody:

I hope all is well. I had a question. I was wondering how the registration for the U of O fitness centre works. What I am particularly interested to know about is the weight rooms. Is it included in our tution fees or do we have to pay for it? Is it very expensive? I know that the actuall U of O gym is on downtown campus, which is kinda far. Is there any gym close to our campus that any of you guys go to? Any kinda input on the sports life while studying med will be appreciated :) .

Thank you guys,

ciao,

Ben

Guest Tanya24

Hi Ben,

don't forget that we have a free shuttle that goes back and forth between U of O and RGH all day. That's how I intend to access the athletic facilities at the main campus. According to the web page, a membership is included in our tuition fees.

Guest UOMeds06

Hi!

So here's how it works. Tanya24 was absolutely correct. There are actually TWO "fitness centres" at the main campus. There's one in Montpetit (it's a building) and one in the Sports Complex. The latter is the newer and bigger of the two. Both have weight rooms. One has the pool and gymnasiums, and squash courts, the other has the hockey rinks, soccer field etc. The membership to use all of these facilities while you are a full time student. There are optional intramural sports (you'll get the low down during frosh about them) at an additional cost. All classes or instruction is additional. If you don't mind paying for convinience then you can go to the rehab gym which costs approximately $22 per month. It's at the RGN campus (that your new campus). The shuttle runs once an hour all day, it is free.

I like that you're already making plans to stay active. Don't let anything stop you from that. It's imperative to lead as normal of a lifestyle as possible while in med school and that's a great way to get away for a while! Big ups!

UOMeds06

Guest scream007

Thanks V and Tanya for the i

I knew about the shuttle. My only concern was that it would waste alot of time to go back and forth between two campuses whereas if there is a gym on RGN, we can just go there when we have like one hour break somewhere between our classes or something :) but I think for now I would stick to the gyms on the main campus and see how it goes :)

Thanks again,

ciao,

Ben

Guest mish80

Hey Ben,

As couple of people have mentioned, the access to the gym is included in our tuition fees (this was only started last year). Anyways, with this you get access to the weight rooms (Montpetit and Sports Complex one, also known as the old and the new gym), swimming pools, squash courts, basketball and volleyball courts, etc.

The old gym (Montpetit) is much smaller than the new one (Sports Complex) and it has shorter hours of operation. On the other hand, under the normal circumstances, the new gym (part of Sports Complex on King Edward street) is huge, has lot's of equipment (so you don't have to worry to much about signing up and what not) and most of all it has extended hours of operation (5 am - 1 am I think). Now, as I mentioned this is under the normal circumstances: because of the huge power blackout that hit Ontario, the University has decided to shorten the hours of operation for this week to save on energy, so today when I went the gym was closing about 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Mind you, as soon as this power thing normalizes, so will the gym hours.

As for the shuttle bus, don't worry about it too much. It only takes about 15-20 min max.

I workout fairly often, so if you need some help or just wanna join me, all you need is a student card.

Hope this helps.

Misha

Guest scream007

Hi Misha:

Thanks for the offer! I would love to join you sometimes. It is always nice to work out with someone, specially during the year coz the weather is cold and the mood is not completely right for work out. Right now I go to GoodLife Fitness. They have a nice gym But it would probably be just for this month. As of next month, I would probably start using this new sports complex. your name is very fimiliar to me Misha. Did you do your undergrad in Ottawa U ?

take care,

Ben >:

Guest scream007

Hi Misha:

I did my first year in Ottawa U and then transferred to McGill. I think I have met you in the Frosh of my first year, the year when Mike was the president of SSA.

see you on Monday,

Ben

Guest UOMeds06

Oh Ben!!!! Benam!

I forgot that you were coming back! Looking forward to seeing you again!

UOMeds06 (sorry we could never do those mock interviews)

Archived