Premed 101 Forums

detailed autosketch:xtra curricular section

Guest squish2

Guest squish2

Hello,

I am a little stumped about what details to put down for my extra curricular activities.

From previous messages, I understand I should aim my responses towards medicine related qualities and skills. However, many of my extra curricular entires are related to sports and "fun stuff."

Would you suggest putting down something like "improve physicial flexiblity" or "provides relaxation" down for swimming or dance lessons?

I would appreciate some suggestions as to how I can best word my responses.

Squish

Guest squish2

Hello again,

I have a question regarding the instruction for the xtra-curricular section: "Indicate the type of activity: individual activity, team activity or club activity (ie sports, arts, music, student governments, personal activities such as camping etc) For sports activities, indicate at which level you performed: recreational, varsity, intramural, provincial, national or international."

It is really that informative for me to follow this instruction. For example if the title of my entry is environmental club, it should be quite obvious that its a team activity.

So do you suggest I follow instructions and be repeative or use the space to elaborate on how the activity may help in medicine or something.

Thanks

Squish

Hi

I really believe that it is better to follow the instruction. It is also good to explain a little bit about that activity. I know that there is not much space to write. but follow the instruction.

Good luck

Med07

Guest tappety tap

Squish -

If you have enough spaces, I would put everything you were involved with whether it was extracurricular or academic. I am a dancer so I put it down and in the interview, they asked me about my dance experience and even related it to the problem of anorexia and asked an ethical dilemma about it. So bascially, don't underestimate your non-academic activities. Also, don't worry about writing too much detail because if they want to know more, they will ask about it in the interview.

Good luck!! If you need any more answers...you know where to find us

M

• 1 month later...
Guest Kirsteen

Woah!

Who's with me in thinking that the completion of the Ottawa sketch is quite the task? :P I started entering information into the OMSAS application during the summer, but have seriously gotten down to primping it this past week. In any case, I've spent half a day today focusing solely on generating an adequate list of 48 activities for the general sketch, which of course, forms the backbone of the Ottawa sketch. It's a good exercise really; given that you've got to substantiate your 48 activities, it makes you think about why they're making an appearance within the general sketch in the first place. In any case, the Ottawa sketch itself, is going to take quite a few more half days, methinks.

I'd be interested in hearing how everyone else is doing with it. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I concur with Tappety Tap. I added my varisty highschool baseball experience even though it was 9 years ago. U of Ottawa really likes balanced students.

Additionally...

If they follow last years format, the interview committee will only have a listing of the titles of each of the 48 activities (if you are bold enough for 48...). So bear in mind that you have to use your judgement in how you group things. Therefore I recommend using specific and descriptive titles,

btw,

It is not too late to volunteer at a hospice centre (my number one recommendation for pre-med, undergrads) if you lack patient contact skills, but now is the time to do it if you want to share character building / humanitarianism experiences at your interview.

g22g

p.s. I almost forgot. Because I had the same verifier for multiple listings I added the multiple listing numbers for a particular verifier in the "more info section."

Guest thesaug

Hi!

Does anyone know where exactly to list the number of the verifier?

I put mine in the title of the activity itself...for example Hospital Volunteer (2)...is this ok?

Thanks!

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I placed mine in the "Level of Education" box, as I liked the fact that it then appears first in the printed list of boxes for each activity, plus I seemed to have a little more space in that box than the others. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived