Premed 101 Forums

WGPA calculation - PLEASE HELP!!

Guest marcia101

Guest marcia101

I know time's running out but I'm still stuck on the WGPA calculation.. :(

How do I do it? Do I take my OMSAS GPA and multiply it according to the year?

ex. First Year OMSAS GPA x 1

Second Yr OMSAS GPA x 2

Third Yr OMSAS GPA x 3

----------------------------

divided by ?????

This is stressing me out because without this WGPA I can't be sure whether to apply or not.

Please help me!

Thank you :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If you're worried, the WGPA calculation is laid out within the Ottawa pages of the OMSAS booklet--see page 15.

In short though, you use your three most recent years in the calculation. So, if you've completed four years of university, then your fourth year would be considered your most recent year, and would carry the most weight in the WGPA (x3).

As for the calculation itself, say you completed three years of full-time school from Sept. 2000 to May 2003, then your Ottawa WGPA would be calculated as follows:

2002-3: GPA x 3

2001-2: GPA x 2

2000-1: GPA x 1

Sum the three calculations, above, and divide the sum by 6. This will give you your Ottawa WGPA.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marcia101

Thanks Kristeen!! You've been a great help to so many confused premeds like me -- I sincerely hope that you will get into med school. Girl, you deserve it!! :D

I have read pg. 15 of the OMSAS application booklet. I'm still not sure whether I am supposed to take the OMSAS GPAs for the WGPA calculation, or whether Ottawa has it's own method of GPA calculation..

Archived