Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa curriculum & technology

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

To those of you in Ottawa meds (or those who may know :) )...

At Queen's, our MBA program relied very heavily on the use of laptops. Akin to Ottawa, our program specified uniform laptops for us all, with identical software packages, etc. All of our assignments, course materials and other such modules were fed to us electronically, and we used software within the laptop to access a network at Queen's, allowing us to communicate with one another and read archived class notes, etc.

How does this compare to Ottawa's meds program? All I know is that uniform laptops are distributed at the beginning of the program, but how are these used in the curriculum? Are there certain modules within the curriculum that are computer-based?

I loved the way Queen's incorporated technology into their program and would be interested in hearing how it benefits a meds class, such as Ottawa's (aside from allowing you to listen to Miles Davis CDs, etc., during study sessions :) ).

Actually, that reminds me of another wee question I had: do you guys normally do the lion's share of your studying alone, or do you ever form study groups and bash at the material en masse?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

Hi Kirsteen,

Those are good questions! Well, we do get those uniform laptops that come with lots of "uniform" software. Usage of the laptop and program varies widely within the class. Almost every one uses the laptop for PBL since all the cases are presented electronically through a program made by the UofO. Objectives made for PBL are also normally done on the laptop since the info from the Monday session is shared via email. The anatomy department has been kind enough to put up actual cadaver pics on a web based quiz-type of program that utilizes many of the cadavers that we use in lab. It facilitates studying for the bell-ringer exams.

Our program sounds pretty similar to the Queen's MBA program...you wouldn't notice much different. When every one in the class has a laptop and is forced to become laptop savy, it becomes quite reasonable to distribute and hand in assignments, announcements etc via the net or email.

We all have proxy accounts through the UofO and we can use this account to access all the online journals, med programs, online med dictionaries, MD consult, online textbooks etc etc etc. There is SO much online or provided to us. Some people have ceased buying books with these resources available.

As for studying, every one does what we are most comfortable with. There are study groups in effect, there are note sharing groups that are in place and many people choose not to participate in group study since they work better individually. I'd say that the "lion's share" is done independently since people use their free time differently. Keep in mind though that with PBL and the many group seminars that we have as part of the curriculum, every one does at least a bit of group studying. The new class has formulated an objective sharing note system where by the entire blocks objectives are divided up between the 50-60 people involved and the answers are peer reviewed and then shared.

Answer your questions?

UOMeds06

Guest Kirsteen

Hi UOMeds06,

Yep, that was exactly the kind of response I sought--brilliant, cheers! :D

I really like the sound of the Ottawa program. The laptops and software provided at Queen's certainly influenced the tone and delivery of the program. I can't imagine how the MBA experience would have been without them and I'm sure many Ottawa U. MD grads may feel similarly.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

I really wouldn't have it any other way after being spoiled like this! The only downfall to relying solely on the computer based resources is not having access to the web dictionaries after you graduate as I'm not sure if you get to keep your proxy accounts. It doesn't really matter though because when you establish your practice, you can buy the necessary texts that you didn't purchase in med school, get the latests version, and claim the full price of the texts towards your business expense taxes. The other downfall I suppose is if you're the type that can't resist msning or emailing during lectures rather than following the presentations. Personally, I MSN during class on occasion but usually only to ask a peer what I missed (eg. professor speaking too fast for my tiny little fingers to keep up). Sounds like you'll fit right in over here. FYI, there are a few MBAs in med school here. One of them is actually in 3rd year and just got elected as President of the CFMS.:eek

UOMeds06

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again,

Now, this is odd. Your meds/tech experience sounds bizarrely similar to our MBA/tech experience. However, in your classrooms/lectures, I'm assuming that you have live individuals come in to lecture you? From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like it; I mean, doesn't it bother the lecturers to have students typing during the lecture? Normally, we wouldn't bring our laptops into the classrooms, even though the desks were equipped with desk-top power outlets.

Re: university proxy accounts, at UofT, I believe you can buy an alumni, reduced rate subscription that will gain you access to the electronic holdings of the library well after you've graduated. I'm sure Ottawa U. (given its relative progressiveness in these realms) would do the same, no?

Also interesting re: the MBA-ites. A position in the CFMS--now that would be quite up my alley. :)

One last question: from my experience taking a couple of courses at McGill this past summer, the opportunity to be among Francophones again was fab. It was great to be able to work in French again, if even just a little bit. Certainly, this is not generally the case at UofT. ;) Now, I am aware that Ottawa has the Francophone program, and there is supposed to be some interaction between the two groups of students, but how much? Are lectures often held together?

Thanks again for all your insights.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mollybear

Hi Kirsteen!

I'm in first year at U of O - I totally feel like procrastinating (our first exam is next week - yikes!) so I thought I would write a response. We do have "live" lecturers teach us - some people write notes by pen and paper and others use their laptops and type. I usually type cause I find it WAY faster and its not too noisy or anything - our laptop keyboards are pretty quiet. Its really just a personal choice though.

As for having study groups vs. individual studying - I think UOMeds06 is right. There are some study groups going (I am part of an anatomy "challenged" group) and my roomate for example has arranged a study session at our place for the upcoming exam but I think the majority of studying is done alone right now. Of course - for us its just the first block and we're all trying to find our way and find what works the best for us. The awesome thing is that there are always people willing to get together and everyone is really helpful and friendly!

The French/English classes don't have very many lectures together but both classes definetly interact and hang out - especially socially! So its great cause you make friends from both classes!

Anyways - I hope that helps. I wish you and everyone else that is applying all the best with the whole med school process. I had no idea when I was applying last year what I was getting myself into. It really is a possible and attainable dream (although I know it doesn't always feel like it!). Good luck!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there mollybear,

Thanks for your insights, too, and best of luck on the big exam next week. Hopefully there's not too, too much material to cover. :eek

One last question regarding Ottawa's classes: unlike some of the other schools that offer some demographic information on the incoming classes, e.g., Queen's and UBC, Ottawa doesn't seem to have too much information out there. So, what is the make-up of the Ottawa U. classes, especially in terms of age? I have the feeling, judging by the number of graduate students, or those applying with nursing degrees, etc., that Ottawa classes are not filled with people around the 22-year mark? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

I take it that Mollybear answered your questions from the second last post....I should add that you normally have at least one class a week together which is normally conducted in English (but the occassional lecturer will throw in both).

I'm not sure if she addressed the issue of having laptops in class (I didn't really read the post....on the fly here). The keyboards are quite quiet. Nobody minds the typing in class, I don't even really hear it! All our lectures are given to us on powerpoint on the net and also in paper. There are a handful that bring the laptop to school every to day electronic notes but many do not. Because the laptop is so heavily encorporated into the curriculum, it's just accepted that people use them in class (that was their intension).

The CFMS could use a few more MBAs!

Demographics: I don't know if most of the numbers for the new class are in, but for our class (2nd year), the average age coming in was 25.8...we had some crazy diversity in the class both geographically and academically (people from the arctic, a fashion designer from hong kong, a hospital kitchen cook, a helicopter pilot, a guy in the astronaut program, bartenders, nurses, scientists etc etc).

The new class has 30% grad students so the average age will be higher than ours. There were a few more Ph.Ds and masters students this past year.

:hat

UOMeds06

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Thanks again for your speedy response. :) Sounds like there's a good dollop of diversity there--grand! :D I'd love to hear the story of the fashion designer. Very interesting!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest schmoooo

As meds 2006 said our class does have a high number of students who either have a Masters of PhD (off the top of my head I can count (5 who have completed their PHD and 3 who are in the process- me being one of them!). There is a whole range of people: those straight out of undergrad, people who did a Masters, those who have worked in completely different fields (e.g. teacher, finance professor, pharmacist etc.) At least 4 people have children. I suspect that our average age is in the 27 range, but that is speculation. I myself am in the upper range...

Good luck! >:

>:

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Wooo, that's an angry looking sign off, not caused, I hope, by your ongoing PhD process. ;)

Thanks for the additional information on your class. Neat!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest schmoooo

Nope! No big G is g22g, if that's who I think you mean. Actually wrong sex! I will give you a hint: you had problems with my last name in frosh week!

Guest wassabi101

LOL! :rollin you guys are funny!

I'd have to disagree though about the amount of contact the French class have with the English...the 1 lecture per week is only sometimes and so far, we've only been together for 2 classes, the rest were all information-intro-with adm sessions. I'm really missing you anglos :( More of a reason to look forward to the block party-- go go Booby! :D

wassabi

Guest UOMeds06

Schmoooo I had problems with a LOT of last names during frosh week....does it start with an M?

I forget who Wassabi is...you gotta tell me next time I see you! :)

UOMeds06

Archived