Premed 101 Forums

Should I retake the MCAT with a 34M?

I scored a 34M on my MCAT last summer.

My GPA by US standards is relatively high ( around 3.86) but

I know I will be at a disadvantage being Canadian.

Should I rewrite the MCAT in the hopes of a better grade on the writing section

or apply with what I have?

Names of schools that don't look at the writing section too much would be helpful as well.

I scored a 34M on my MCAT last summer.

My GPA by US standards is relatively high ( around 3.86) but

I know I will be at a disadvantage being Canadian.

Should I rewrite the MCAT in the hopes of a better grade on the writing section

or apply with what I have?

Names of schools that don't look at the writing section too much would be helpful as well.

Let's see - in ontario Ottawa, Mac, and NOSM won't care (Mac does consider VR so what you got in that is certainly important). Western and Queens I am afraid the WS does exclude you as an M is well below any of the historical cut offs. Toronto will note the score but not automatically exclude you if the rest of your application is strong.

Why do you think you got an M for WS last time, are you strongly considering going to the US and what is the break down of your score? That will help you decide if it is logical to rewrite the test :)

11 VR , 11 PS, 12 BS and an M.

My GPA I feel wont be very competitive by Canadian standards.

It's 3.76 by Canadian standards. I did not practice enough for the essay section writing about only 5-6 before my exam.

I would prefer getting into Canada.

11 VR , 11 PS, 12 BS and an M.

My GPA I feel wont be very competitive by Canadian standards.

It's 3.76 by Canadian standards. I did not practice enough for the essay section writing about only 5-6 before my exam.

I would prefer getting into Canada.

You will probably be focussing then on schools like Western and Queens in an application in Ontario. Your score is two low for those schools so that suggests you rewrite - also you know exactly why you didn't do well on the essay and you did well on the other sections so it seems likely you can improve quite a bit there :)

If you are look at mostly those schools (which are in ways more forgiving of a low GPA) then your best and last 2 years become very important. Take a look at those.

Archived