Premed 101 Forums

How does one get into research?

Edge

Off the bat, I'm a business (accountancy) major, I know, kind of odd for someone wanting to go to med school, but I had a last minute change of heart a while back. Anyways, straight to the point, I want to acquire some research experience, however I'm having trouble finding an appropriate research position.

So here the story, because I have an inexistant science background (something I'm in the process of fixing by taking science courses in night college while attending university), I am ineligible to get a research position in the science domain because the prerequisite is a science background. The only research I am eligible for is business research, but that is nearly inexistant and accounting research, even more inexistant and also unproductive.

While discouraging, I've read in the newspapers and online, stories about these 13-16 year old high school student that somehow are able to produce breakthrough research in cancer. So it gives me hope.

I'm wondering, how does one get into research without any credibility, I can wait until I finish all my science courses, but by then I would be graduating from university and applying to med school. So time is against me.

Start off talking to a prof with something you're interested in, and see if you can volunteer.

Since I don't know your background I have to warn that you might lack the training needed for doing research so it might be a lot of work to get up to speed. Can you take a science course that has a lab component? Something to get you started at least.

Also keep in mind you don't need research to get into med school.

While discouraging, I've read in the newspapers and online, stories about these 13-16 year old high school student that somehow are able to produce breakthrough research in cancer. So it gives me hope.

:eek: lol. Doubtful. But i don't understand why you and many other premeds want to get into research just to put it on their med application. There are many med students that probably never did any research so do it if you are genuinely interested in it and have the knowledge to get something done. I think a lot of people come on here read that some people worked in a lab and right away they think they also have to, to get in. If you are genuinly interested in volunteering in a lab google a department at the closest uni where you live and email a prof that your interested in. Best of luck:)

Start off talking to a prof with something you're interested in, and see if you can volunteer.

Since I don't know your background I have to warn that you might lack the training needed for doing research so it might be a lot of work to get up to speed. Can you take a science course that has a lab component? Something to get you started at least.

Also keep in mind you don't need research to get into med school.

My background is in the social sciences, so in college, my concentration were math, business, economics, and research methodology. In University, its accountancy.

Next, I understand I might be behind, but as I mentioned earlier, there are kids half my age that somehow manage to produce research with university researchers, like Abicumaran Uthamacumaran, a 16 year old who started at 13 (you can read the story here http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/chasing+Holy+Grail/3168959/story.html)

So if a 13 year old who probably is starting high school is capable of pulling something like that, I think I should be able to.

Archived