Premed 101 Forums

Keep your heads up guys...

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

Well, darnit, it appears as if the first round is over...here's the emoticon I was saving:

large-smiley-058.gif

All I can say is that those who are getting first round offers are amazing candidates...just based on GPA alone...I think the lowest I saw was 3.92! Throw in some great extracurriculums and a good interaction style...geeze...what can I say...awesome candidates...they deserve the first round.

The good news is...it appears a very high percentage of those who get first round offers at UofO also get first round offers at multiple places...or everywhere they apply! So the good news is...and don't quote me on the stats...but I heard that only about 25% of those receiving first-round offers at UofO actually accept UofO...so that means the "good" waitlisters have an amazing chance. If, for example, it was like last year...123 first round offers went out...25% of that is about 31 people...that leaves 92 spots! Out of those...I'm sure some people will also turn down UofO to go for other schools...my guess is they'd have to go through another 100 people or so to fill the class after the first round goes out.

Although I know it's hard to keep your head up after not receiving an email this morning...and believe me, I know...I'm disappointed too...try to have a great weekend...next week will bring us all closer to knowing our likely fate at UofO this year.

Cheers...

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are awesome. After following these boards for a few months (at times a little too closely), I must say that you will make an extraordinary physician. You deserve to make it.

Best of luck next week--I know it will happen for you. And I am never wrong! :b

BJ

Guest MayFlower1

Hey bj...I like your moniker... :lol

Thanks so much for the kind words. I know we've exchanged notes once or twice...but I honestly can't remember what your background is or if you're a current meds student...could you refresh my aging memory?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Not a med student (not yet in any case :P ). In fact, I didn't even get an interview at Ottawa this year--I only checked these boards today to see how you were doing! I think you have really touched a lot of people on these boards, myself included, and have a huge base of people rooting for you. Take care!

BJ

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks bj...I really appreciate the support...I'm feeling quite down today...definitely feeling up with respect to chances to come...but feeling incredibly disappointed with respect to not getting a first-round offer...I felt my interview was great...my life experience is broad and unique...my gpa isn't too bad (3.73 on the omsas scale)...the competition is just incredible...many amazing candidates out there...

Thanks again.

Peter

Guest misagh

Hey Peter,

Well, looks like we're in the same boat my good man. Rather, I think my boat's a bit different... I believe it's called the Titanic... sinking in a sea of my own self pity. But hey, you've got the right outlook. Next week will come, and from there we can see what happens. I spoke to UOMeds06 today, he assured me that many (the majority?) ppl in his class got in off the waitlist last year. We're still early in the game...

Anyways, don't have much to add, just wanted to give you a virtual pat on the back, and tell ya that I feel ya big guy.

And the same goes out to everyone else on the Boards who is waiting ever so patiently! Let's find a way to enjoy our weekend...

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't know the statistics for my class as far as how many came in off the waitlist, but it's got to be a lot. 189 invites were sent out for 118 spots. That's not even including people who were initially waitlisted at UWO and either were accepted or pulled off a waitlist somewhere else! And it's not just UWO. I was told at my interviews the Queen's 2004 class had roughly half their students come in off the waitlist. I'm sure that's pretty much the situation across Ontario, with most people applying to more than one of the OMSAS schools.

Good Luck for Monday Peter and Misagh. . . for all you know, you'll be getting an acceptance and not even a good waitlist on Monday. Go do something fun (and ridiculously distracting) this weekend!

Guest Chieka

Wow Peter - that's quite an emoticon. Hopefully you can replace it with :D on Monday! I too believe that you'd make a wonderful physician - keep your head up.

All the best to those still waiting!

C.

Guest aneliz

sad-smiley-023.gif

Well, I can't believe it....I thought you had it in the bag Peter!!!

But it isn't over yet....my class at UWO had 101 offers made from the waitlist....and that doesn't include the people that pulled off the waitlist to accept other schools before their number came up!

Its already been said, but it is far from over!!!

Guest macdaddyeh

Mayflower (Peter):

I have posted very sporadically as of late, but I must use the opportunity to say that regardless of the outcome you WILL make an empathetic, articulate physician;)

If your positive and helpful communication at the interview was as good as it has been on-line I sincerely DO see you getting in! Your reasoning BTW about the wait lists is rather accurate, so I again I see you getting in!

Myself, still waiting for the dreaded envelope!:rolleyes

Guest UWOMED2005

Where all these (pre)med students coming up with the cash to buy these fancy emoticons? And why do I now feel excluded?

Guest stargirl

hey peter...

that's the spirit! you know, i talked to a first year U of O med student on my interview day and he told me he had written the MCAT 4 TIMES...he reminded me a lot of you in his "never say die, anything can happen, don't give up" attitude...and I totally think you would make a STELLAR doctor and that you will surely get a "good waitlist" letter next week...otherwise, the system might be seriously flawed...that's just my $0.02...

misagh, you too...just from meeting you briefly at the mocks i can tell you have the makings of an m.d. extraordinaire...btw, those firesides that you mentioned in your interview feedback post sound really cool!

anyway, no e-mail for me either...but like peter said, it's far from over...

tappety tap, carletongirl...any good news in your inboxes today?

enjoy the weekend everyone...good news is just around the corner!

stargirl

ps peter...where DID you get those fabulous emoticons?!

Guest Lynlloyd

Hi Peter,

I can't believe you didn't get a first round acceptance. I have followed many of your posts and they are always thoughtful, helpful, respectful, well written and intelligent.

I'm really holding out for a good waitlist spot for you.

The very best of luck to you.

Lynlloyd.

Archived