Premed 101 Forums

If you're accepted...

Guest stallion001

Guest stallion001

If you're accepted, how long do you have to reply to the admissions committee (i.e. a week, two weeks)? I only ask because I'm interested in knowing how fast the wait list moves.

Also, are people taken off the waitlist in waves (i.e. ad com waits to call every two weeks) or do they call people off the wait list as offers for admission are declined?

Thanks.

Guest JSS02

Last year, people who were accepted in the first round had about two weeks to respond... I presume that those accepted later in the summer (say July) might not be given as much time, but that could depend on the school.

As for your second question, it also varies between schools. I don't know exactly what Ottawa's policy is, but I think that generally, they would wait until the first round reply deadline has passed before sending out another set of offers. Another important deadline in the OMSAS application cycle is near the beginning of July, when anyone already holding a spot at an Ontario school automatically gets withdrawn from any Ontario waitlists that he or she is still on. So some places might send out another set of offers after this date. Of course as the summer progresses, schools will start calling people as spots open up...

Guest wassabi101

in Quebec, at a certain time in the middle of June, the government announces that it will be increasing the number of doc's by x amount--and so a few days later, the Quebec schools send out an acceptance letter for an x amount of waitlisted people...does anyone know if this also happens in Ontario?

also, can any of the u of o moderators or anyone else who knows comment on roughly how many people get off the waiting list each year at u of o?

thanks!

-wassabi

Guest UOMeds05

Hi all,

I believe that the first round offers have 2 weeks to make their decisions and send back replies. I think that July 14 or so is the deadline for giving a conditional offer (check OMSAS for the correct date). Once that date has passed, those offered a spot will have minimal amount of time to accept an offer as classes have to be filled ASAP.

As for the waitlisted people, they are contacted immediately as places become available... therefore as early as OMSAS receives confirmation of a decline to an offer of admission. It all happens really quickly with the majority of the class being full by mid to late July at which point those still on the waiting list will be notified that this years class has been successfully filled.

Traditionally, students who are ranked up to 200-250 have a good chance of getting in (the first 135 or so recieve first round offers). It used to be in the past that the first 250 on the rank list received one letter and the bottom 250 or so received a similar letter with one additional line: "However, due to your position on the wait-list, it is unlikely that you will reach the top of the list" or something like that. I don't know if that is still the case.

I know that this is big week for everyone. I wish you all a lot of luck. Just remember on Friday when you are checking your email/mail that everything happens for a reason, and that one way or another, everything works out in the end.

Guest UofOhopeful

Hi UOMeds05, thanks for your answer. I just have a question and a couple of comments:

"I believe that the first round offers have 2 weeks to make their decisions and send back replies. I think that July 14..."

Do you mean June 14?

On my interview day, Nicole did say that there would be a "good" waitlist and a "bad" waitlist. The numbers you gave were Nicole's guestimates as well. The statement in the "bad" waitlist was very similar to the one you wrote.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm getting pretty nervous now!!!

Guest UOMeds05

HI UofOhopeful,

I can't remember the exact date, but somewhere around July 14th (i think) all conditional acceptances become firm. Until that point there is a lot of movement with the waitlist as people that have made a conditional offer get acceptances off wait-lists from other schools, (more spots open up). I don't know if that made sense... my head is jammed pack with GI stuff right now... sorry.

Good luck!

Guest MayFlower1

UOMeds05,

Traditionally, students who are ranked up to 200-250 have a good chance of getting in (the first 135 or so recieve first round offers). It used to be in the past that the first 250 on the rank list received one letter and the bottom 250 or so received a similar letter with one additional line: "However, due to your position on the wait-list, it is unlikely that you will reach the top of the list" or something like that. I don't know if that is still the case.

This is the same info we got last year...and the PFO line in the "bad" waitlist letter is very similar to the one you have quoted...as I was a "bad boy" last year...I'll see if I can dig up the exact phrasing...

Peter

Edit: Here's the text from the letter I received last year:

-------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr X,

Your application for admission to the Faculty of Medicine for the academic year 2002-2003 was carefully considered by the Admissions Committee. At the present time offers have been made to the top 123 candidates on the basis of their composite score.

Your name has been placed on a waiting list. However, I must inform you, that given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer.

You will be notified by telephone or letter at your permanent address if your name appears at the top of the list, should a vacancy occur before September.

As soon as we receive 123 firm acceptances, candidates on the waiting list will be notified.

Although the sequential order of the waiting list does not change, rankings will change on a daily basis as students confirm acceptances. For this reason, candidates are requested NOT TO CALL OUR OFFICE for their ranking position since this information cannot be given.

If you are offered admission to another medical school (outside the province) and wish to withdraw your name from our list, please advise us in writing.

Yours sincerely,

Richard L. Hebert, M.Sc., Ph.D.,

Assistant Dean, Admissions

RLH/nl

----------------------------------------------------

Guest UofOhopeful

Peter, thanks for posting the text.

I think that letter was evil!!! Although it clearly stated that:

"I must inform you, that given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer."

They then went on to give details about the waitlist procedure. It sorta gives a false hope, don't you think?

Well, I guess the extra info was necessary so that they wouldn't get flooded with telephone calls / emails.

Guest MayFlower1

UofOhopeful,

I agree with you on the false hope thing...I remember the feeling well...I felt very sad...disappointed...but then, after a few days...felt like there was that slight glimmer of hope...being the optimist I am...it killed me until I received the "the class is full, PFO, please try again" letter.

Of note, however (and to reinforce the slight glimmer of hope), I heard rumour of a few people over the last few years (last year included) getting pulled off the bad waitlist late in the summer and receiving an offer. I'm afraid it totally depends on how many people choose other options after receiving an offer from UofO.

Again, best of luck. My thoughts are with you and many other great candidates I've met here and on interview day.

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

The number of students who reject/accept at each school varies wildly year to year, so it's impossible to predict how far each school will go into their waitlist. I think pretty much every school has dipped into the rejection or badlist pool one year another. That's probably the reason U of O uses this "bad waitlist" system. . . it's almost embarassing when schools offer acceptances to people previously given rejections (or perhaps it's the other way around).

Archived