Premed 101 Forums

Research/lab volunteer [hours]

neuropsy

Quick question: how many hours a week did/do you guys volunteer in a lab? I'm especially interested in how these hours were set up when you began/started off.

Also,

When would be a good time to contact profs/show interest in volunteering for them? Would now be good or is it too early?

8 hrs per week. Volunteered for one semester; currently doing the same tasks, but in a paid position.

When I joined university, I entered second yr directly. I got to know the prof during the Fall (taught one of my courses), then volunteered for her in the Winter. Very good experience so far.

It really depends on how much time you are willing to put in.. the good thing about being a volunteer is that your hours are much more flexible. I volunteer in a couple of labs and during the school year, I put in around 6 hours per week. I just emailed the profs and set up meeting times with them, and they put me down for specific shifts that I was supposed to come in for.

I would say that it's never too early to email profs and express an interest in volunteering in their lab. I found that when it got to the end of the school year, a lot of positions were taken already and labs were getting full. So it's best to secure a position, even if you're not planning on starting to volunteer immediately.

Hahaha nobody said that volunteers ONLY get to do scut work in a lab. In my labs, I get to do the same things as the grad students/paid research assistants, but while they are required to be there full time Mon-Fri 9-5, I waltz in and out for a few hours two days of the week. People might wonder why you would want to volunteer in a lab when you could do the same things and get paid, but personally I like it because the hours are so much more flexible and not as constricted.. with my free time, I can do other volunteering and other fun stuff rather than being stuck in the lab 40 hours a week.

Just my take on it. But there's nothing bad about volunteering for research labs.

Hahaha nobody said that volunteers ONLY get to do scut work in a lab. In my labs, I get to do the same things as the grad students/paid research assistants, but while they are required to be there full time Mon-Fri 9-5, I waltz in and out for a few hours two days of the week. People might wonder why you would want to volunteer in a lab when you could do the same things and get paid, but personally I like it because the hours are so much more flexible and not as constricted.. with my free time, I can do other volunteering and other fun stuff rather than being stuck in the lab 40 hours a week.

Just my take on it. But there's nothing bad about volunteering for research labs.

I pretty much agree, volunteering allows a LOT more flexibility in terms of the hours you have to put in

Personally, I like getting paid. It may not matter for basic science labs, but for clinical research, you'd never go on the REB if you were a volunteer (and thus it would be pretty difficult to get clinical research opportunities as a volunteer)

Currently putting in about 10-12 hours a week for 4 days

10-12 hours a week during the school year??? Isn't that a bit much to handle? :confused: or perhaps you meant during the summer..?

It really depends on how much time you are willing to put in.. the good thing about being a volunteer is that your hours are much more flexible. I volunteer in a couple of labs and during the school year, I put in around 6 hours per week. I just emailed the profs and set up meeting times with them, and they put me down for specific shifts that I was supposed to come in for.

I would say that it's never too early to email profs and express an interest in volunteering in their lab. I found that when it got to the end of the school year, a lot of positions were taken already and labs were getting full. So it's best to secure a position, even if you're not planning on starting to volunteer immediately.

Just wondering, did you volunteer in a couple of labs in the same year, or over the course of your undergrad....I want to try maybe 2 profs (one of which I'm considering doing my thesis with next year, so it would probably be a good idea to volunteer for them to show you're interested?).

Thanks.

OP - yeah for sure, start emailing them now. They get filled fast. Which reminds me, I should start emailing them too! haha

I joined my lab as a volunteer, spent a semester volunteering, then was paid for the next semester (current). Getting a position in a lab is more than just about getting paid. Though I've only been here for a few months, I have strong relationships with the prof, grad students, and the lab and multiple opportunities are open through this. A lucky few manage to get paid positions right away but volunteering in a lab is, by no means, something to be looked down on.

I just met someone who volunteers 40 hours a week in the summer (in a lab), and works night shifts elsewhere for 40 hours a week. Just saying. ;)

Just wondering, did you volunteer in a couple of labs in the same year, or over the course of your undergrad....I want to try maybe 2 profs (one of which I'm considering doing my thesis with next year, so it would probably be a good idea to volunteer for them to show you're interested?).

A couple of labs over the same year, but only 3-4 hours/week in each lab during the school year. Volunteering with the prof to begin with would definitely be a good idea, you can familiarize yourself with the lab beforehand and develop relationships with the people.

Yeah I didn't know there was so much stigma associated with volunteering in a lab, honestly I think it's the same thing as volunteering anyplace else.. yes you can get paid doing research - you can also get paid working in the hospital or working with kids etc. Like Leon said, some people start off as volunteers which makes it much easier for them to get paid positions later on withe prof. Or some people are just happy to continue as volunteers. Either way, not something to be looked down upon. And volunteering in a lab doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have to pay for anything.. I have a job but would prefer not working in the lab full time.

No, as long as you are able to show him how interested you are in his research (mention specific things about his research to him) and if you email him early enough to secure a spot.

Give it about a week or so I'd say and if you don't hear back, then it's probably safe to email a couple other profs.

What would one include in an email? I'd assume you state your interest in their research.... do you include anything else? Do I treat this as a cover letter?

Do you include a resume? (I don't have any related experience whatsoever, and I don't have any employment history either; I've only tutored and volunteered at a dialysis unit, that's all the 'experience' I've accumulated).

Do you include availability in the first email, or would that come later?

How much of a role do marks play in getting a volunteer research position?

My marks aren't spectacular, I'm sitting a a 3.63 right now.

Also, would I be at a disadvantage being a second year student? I assume they'd prefer third year+ students...

I apologize for the excessive questioning. :(

What would one include in an email? I'd assume you state your interest in their research.... do you include anything else? Do I treat this as a cover letter?

Do you include a resume? (I don't have any related experience whatsoever, and I don't have any employment history either; I've only tutored and volunteered at a dialysis unit, that's all the 'experience' I've accumulated).

Do you include availability in the first email, or would that come later?

How much of a role do marks play in getting a volunteer research position?

My marks aren't spectacular, I'm sitting a a 3.63 right now.

Also, would I be at a disadvantage being a second year student? I assume they'd prefer third year+ students...

I apologize for the excessive questioning. :(

It depends on the prof. For my labs, I never had to send my profs a resume and now that I think back, none of the profs that I volunteer for know my marks haha.. they never asked for a transcript and I never sent one :P Maybe it's just because my profs are more laid back, but how the process basically went was that I emailed them, stated my interest in volunteering for them, gave them a little background about me (what relevant courses I took, what my major/minor was, what year I was in etc) and asked to set up a meeting to discuss volunteering with them. Then I met them in person and that's when we talked about different projects and availabilities etc.

So I think you should start off by just sending a general email.. and see what the prof replies back. They might want a transcript or a resume and then you can just go from there. I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage being a 2nd year student, as long as you show that you are genuinely interested in learning.

Me too. Make sure you check the AACC work/study & Volunteer offering periodically, especially in the upcoming two months. Profs put up posting there.

Do you think it's better to email a random prof that you're interested and ask if they're looking for any volunteer or work-study student, before they may possibly post them online?

Do you think it's better to email a random prof that you're interested and ask if they're looking for any volunteer or work-study student, before they may possibly post them online?

Yea there's nothing wrong with that. That's what I did to find a volunteer. Most profs may not even know about posting opportunities online

Yes, definitely. When positions are posted, WAY more people apply, including people who are not really interested in the lab and just want a work study position. But if you don't get any responses now, don't forget to check the AACC in September

Me too. Make sure you check the AACC work/study & Volunteer offering periodically, especially in the upcoming two months. Profs put up posting there.

Thank you, that was very informative, I never would have thought to look there.

I am now quite confident in what to say in the email, but I'm unsure of how to format it; should I address this in cover-letter like matter?

Also, because the professors is asking for transcripts to be submitted with the email, I'm worried that I may not be accepted into the lab due to only having taken the introductory course in his area and having very little experience outside of well, anything..

Archived