Premed 101 Forums

Research/lab volunteer [hours]

neuropsy

I am perhaps one of the few who have not had any hands-on research experience. Understandably, it may be useful to obtain clinical and/or wet lab experience for numerous different reasons but it was not something I wanted to explore as an undergraduate. In the end, I do not feel that I was at a disadvantage as an applicant for medical school.

• 9 months later...

good thread neuropsy! Were you able to find a position after all?

along the same lines, i have a question regarding this topic (hours) so i hope you dont mind that I use your thread :)

so I just started volunteering at a lab a few weeks ago. Today, I just realized my colleagues are all getting paid ie not volunteering (minimum wage, but its still $ !) . I didnt mind at first but the more I think of it, Im at the lab 3 days out of 5, from 9:30 to 5 (and even later sometimes) and i am doing the same job as the others.

At lunch, my colleagues set me aside and told me I was totally getting ripped off by the supervisor and that I should go to his office first thing in the morning to ask (politely of course) for a remuneration.

Is this a good idea?? If so, how could I formulate my request so it doesnt sound too ''impolite''?

ty

What are your qualifications vs. your colleagues? Do both of you have degrees, are they grad students, have they done research before etc.?

If they have a degree and you don't I'd say you're stuck.

If they have a grad degree and you don't, you're definitely stuck.

If they have previous research experience even without a degree, I don't mean to be mean, but chances are their services are worth more to the supervisor at this point. If this is your first research position, I think it might not be realistic to expect compensation since you aren't as fluent in research as the supervisor may want to pay for.

If you and your colleagues are at the same level, you deserve some cash, so should approach the prof.

What are your qualifications vs. your colleagues? Do both of you have degrees, are they grad students, have they done research before etc.?

If they have previous research experience even without a degree, I don't mean to be mean, but chances are their services are worth more to the supervisor at this point. If this is your first research position, I think it might not be realistic to expect compensation since you aren't as fluent in research as the supervisor may want to pay for.

If you and your colleagues are at the same level, you deserve some cash, so should approach the prof.

Hi Osteon,

thanks for the quick reply.

To answer your question, my colleagues and I are all on the same level (last year of undergrad), except for one person who's a 1st yr undergrad (and hes paid).

Hi Osteon,

thanks for the quick reply.

To answer your question, my colleagues and I are all on the same level (last year of undergrad), except for one person who's a 1st yr undergrad (and hes paid).

In that case, I would definitely talk with the boss.

Perhaps prepare a portfolio of everything you've done so far, to justify your case to him/her. Say you know the other students are paid for the same work, and you'll gladly stay on as an unpaid volunteer if that's all he can afford, but ask if he'd consider taking you on as a paid student, if not now then perhaps later in the summer. You could also prepare a schedule outlining exactly what you'd hope to accomplish as a paid student to help make his/her decision a little easier.

So, is this your first research job (ie do you have any previous experience in comparison to others)? Sometimes you've got to start with volunteering before getting paid (unless you got an NSERC or CIHR over the summer). I started off volunteering in the lab. Everyone else was paid... I wasn't - for about 5 months. Later on, I started to get paid because the supervisor saw I was reliable, punctual and responsible... I got the work done. Did you know it was a volunteer position when you approached him/her or applied? If so, I don't think you can do much right now.

Also, when I started my Masters, I was paid the same amount as undergrads who didn't have a degree for 4 months. When I got another supervisor (I have 2 now), he asked me how much I was getting paid and I told him. He was shocked and went on to say "You're getting less than my coop undergrads and you HAVE a degree! We need to fix that." So he bumped my pay the next month because he believed in hierarchy in the lab. I was getting paid more than an undergrad student but less than those who already have a Master's degree. Either way, it was a good $500 difference/month.

Some older supervisors don't follow the rules... You probably bumped into one of those. I'm pretty sure, if I'm correct, you asking him for $$ won't change a thing.

One usually starts off volunteering in a lab. I volunteered for a term, then worked under pay for a term, and have been doing course based research projects since. In my lab, the prof can afford x number of paid positions but takes on 2-4 volunteers who do the same job as the paid workers. This is because

1) Work/study spots are limited so only so many people can be paid

2) More people are needed

3) People are usually happy to volunteer for a term or two to "get into the lab"

In your case, I think the question is : Did you agree to be a volunteer when you signed up? Even if you didn't know others would be doing the same work but getting paid, you're kind of tied if you agreed to volunteer in the first place.

Btw, I agree with your friends that your hours are ridiculous. Volunteers in the labs I've been to don't do more than 12 hours/week. There's only so much charity work one can do. I suggest the same as osteon : Make a nice schedule and ask him.

Archived