Premed 101 Forums

Med Jitters?

Guest mollybear

Guest mollybear

Hey Guys!

I have a question for y'all. Is there anyone out there who received their letter of acceptance and is starting to have the med jitters? Is this a normal thing to go through?

I received my email acceptance on Friday and while I have been thrilled about it, sometimes little doubts creep up and I start to get nervous about the whole thing. I feel like I've waited for this for so long and now that I've gotten in it feels weird! Can anyone relate?

Guest jendip

I can relate! I am also thrilled to have gotten in but I'm nervous (and scared sometimes too!) as well. I'd like to think this is normal :)

But I've only heard great things about the school, the program and the people! I've heard frosh week is a blast and that while up until the first exam may be stressful, we'll be fine after that!!

Hope that helps :)

Jen

Guest UWOMED2005

The fact you're getting jitters suggests to me you've done your research. Medicine is a GREAT career, but it's not the land of milk and honey some people assume. I think that is sometimes lost amid the dream of getting past the competition to get into med school, and all the pop culture references to doctors being superstars (anyone catch that new commercial with that girl from the Cheetos commercial bragging about her boyfriend being a surgeon?) You're giving up quite a bit by going into medicine (just wait until the tuition bill comes!!), and there is a lot of sacrifice and dedication involved. . . not just in medical school, but in medicine as a career.

But there's a lot good things about medicine, and if you decide that it's worth it, don't ever forget that.

I think having a realistic, balanced perspective is crucial to surviving med school psychologically unscathed. If you go into medicine thinking you've landed a 10-3 job where you're a guaranteed millionaire and every patient will leave your chair with a smile on their face perfectly cured, I think you're in for a shock when the truth sets in. On the other hand, if you focus on the piles of debt, years of unpaid or low-paid work, exuberant amounts of bodily fluids of all nasty sorts of variations, the patients who might die because of your mistakes, or the hours and holidays you have to work and the things you've missed(dependent entirely on the specialty you choose). . . you'll be crushed as well.

But if, on the other hand you accept medicine for what it is: a career that has quite lots of ups, a number of downs. . . but in the end it's the career that is the right one for you, I think you'll do fine!

Archived