Premed 101 Forums

Endocrinology Speciality Profile?

e_is_hv

Hey Everyone,

I just finished preclerkship and I find I'm very interested in endocrionology. I've searched this forum and info about endo seems to be few a far between. Does anyone have a general overview of the speciality?

I'm also wondering what endorcinologists can expect to earn (numbers seem very hard to come by). Please specify if you're quoting after expenses and taxes (speaking of which, if you work in a hospital, does anyone know what your typical operating expesnses are? Do you pay for your secretary or the hospital). Practically, can you see more than diabetes? (I don't mind that, but wouldn't mind other interesting sites).

Thanks SO much in advance....finding info about this field seems abnormally difficult.

I just finished my endo block so I can add a couple cents. I had a chance to talk to several of the older endo staff about careers, etc.

Earning is about 200-300k while salaried (academic). Higher in private practice as you can focus on higher billing Pts, a.k.a diabetes as each diabetes visit carries a "chronic disease" billing code which adds $89 (or something like that) to the visit. One staff was essentially almost all private clinic seeing 80% diabetes and he was "raking it in" (so I was told).

No idea on operating expenses.

Practice-wise, you'll see mostly diabetes and probably even more in the future. The different staff I talked to had 50-80% diabetes. Those with special interest in niche areas e.g. osteoporosis, thyroid, etc were on the lower end of that figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived