Premed 101 Forums

grad applicant pool?

Guest kahone

Guest kahone

HI,

I am applying via OMSAS this year (I am PhD3) and was wondering if I will be evaluated in a grad pool of applicants? <I have previously completed my MSc as well> As well, according to the OMSAS ottawaU materials, for "ranking graduate applicants for offers", they WGPA is calculated: 2+(0.5 X undergradGPA)...

can someone clarify if that is calculated to ensure that you satisy the 3.3 WGPA requirement of grad applicants? ie, does UofO calculate that BEFORE they offer the interview, or after the interview, in order to determine who gets an offer of admission?

Thanks

K

Guest Xine15

My understanding of the rules for graduate students is as follows:

you have to fill either one of these two requirements to be eligible

Either

a) you meet the standard set for the undergraduate WGPA for the general applicant pool

OR

B) you have greater than 3.3 WGPA from undergrad AND be in the final year of your grad degree AND have an 85% or better as a grad GPA

THEN.....

I think they look at this before offering an interview (and taking the quality of the graduate pool of applicants into account.

If you get an interview they will re-rank using the 2+ (0.5 X undergradWGPA) to rank you back into the general pool of applicants list for offers of admission. (This essentially boosts your GPA and thus your position on the list!)

At least that's what I got from the info.....

Guest Lola Lee Lolo

i am not applying this year, since i have just started my masters, but is it really true that grad students must have a wgpa of 3.3? isn't that up from 3.0 in previous years?

also, 85% average in graduate courses--is that an A average? i am not familiar with ottawa's score systems.

(just asking all these questions so that i am prepared for NEXT year! hehe)

Guest wassabi101

Hey guys,

The calculated WGPA is only after you've had the interview to, as was mentionned, make sure you're still competitive with the rest of the non-grad applicant pool...

An A average in grad school, means essentially all A's (85% +) in your grad courses, although don't panic if you have one A-.

I don't think Ottawa has ever had 3.0 as their cutoff average for grad applicants. Five years ago when I first applied, this was the cutoff for McMaster applicants.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Karen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chriskim23

Hey guys,

A question about Ottawa, if you are applying after grad school, do you still need to satisfy the course requirements from undergrad.

Thanks,

Chris

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Chris,

U. Ottawa does offer some breaks for graduate applicants, but getting in without the pre-requisite courses is not one of them. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...
Guest LaGriega

If you are applying after already completing grad school, you go into the same pool as regular applicants, and have to meet the undergrad GPA cutoff same as everyone else. Grad school marks are not taken into account.

Archived