Premed 101 Forums

What are the pro's of attending U of O Meds?

Guest Nops

I'm applying to 5 schools, (U of A, Calgary, Ottawa, Queen's and Dal), and I have little to go on in terms of choosing between them (not that I'm saying I'll have a choice -- when it comes down to it, I'll go anywhere I get accepted, happily).

I've spent most of my life in Alberta (Edmonton), but I live in Fredericton now, so I'm technically a Maritimer.

I think Edmonton (the city) is too big, and it's entirely TOO close to my extended family. On top of that, it's a tough school to get into. I do like the selection of restaurants, shopping, etc. in the river city.

I have never been to Kingston, have been in Halifax a few times, never been to Ottawa, and have spent very little time in Calgary.

I would prefer a 4 yr program to a 3 yr program just because I'd like a break in the summers.

I like the idea of a PBL curriculum, but I think most of the schools are heading that way anyhow.

Kingston is beautiful from all I've heard, but I have not had any concrete examples of WHY.

I'd love to hear from those in the know the pros and cons in their own estimation.

Ciao!

Bil

Edited the subject title to make it more specific, and in doing so, trying to make the question more appropriate to each individual medical school forum. -Ian

Guest UOMeds06

Hi Nops,

There really is TONNES of information in this forum with pros and cons about each school. Rather than publishing all that info again, I suggest that you look back through the literally Hundreds of subject titles and picking a thread to read. There was a recent one started by Kirsteen I believe about the Ottawa Curriculum & Technology. It seems like there are about 20 people who ask those very same questions that you are wondering about each year. The answers are there...just got to find the right thread to read.

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=457.topic

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=253.topic

Here's an excerpt from a thread in case you really don't feel like going through them:

1. E-curriculum - all the sources you need are at your fingertips. Also makes PBL a lot more interesting since you have diagnostic info integrated into the case (ie. videos of echos, heart sounds, etc.)

2. PEOPLE - great, relaxed group of people! This is the most important, I think. Super friendly and generally laid back students. If you crave competition, this isn't the place to be!

3. Systems based - just makes more sense. You learn everything about a single system at the same time. Most schools are like this now.

4. City - great urban and outdoor life. Clubs, restaurants, bars are great. Close to water and snow...almost everyone skiis or boards in my class...I'm trying to learn!

5. Supportive staff - they actually ask for and respond to feedback

6. Clinical exposure - can start doing electives/observerships right away if you want to. There's protected time on our schedule to do it.

Hope this helps!

Posted by Tasha

Good luck with your reading!

UOMeds06

Thanks for the post!

I followed the threads, and got what I was looking for, and more.

No idea if I'll get accepted, never mind have a choice about where to go, but it's nice to dream I'll have the option!! :D

Bil

PS - I know the helo pilot in '06 in passing. I'm a CF pilot, too.

Guest UOMeds06

Nops,

Well, best of luck and keep a bright spirit. It wouldn't hurt to give the other helicopter pilot a call and ask him how he found the application procedure. It's always best to talk to some one with the same sort of background. He's a fantastic fellow and I'm sure would be delighted to hear that you're applying. Good luck!

UOMeds06

Archived