Premed 101 Forums

Electives after 2nd year

Does anyone know any Canadian or American schools that accept students who have finished 2nd year but not clerkship to do electives? So far I've found that the programs require basic clerkship to be more or less completed which means end of 3rd year. Thanks for any help!

At U of A you can do electives as a clerk between 2nd and 3rd year - they are more like trial electives to see if you like the specialty because you won't have that much skill...so faculty suggests you don't use them with the motive to find a reference letter unless you return to that place when you've gained more experience as a real clerk. I think Calgary takes students who just finished 2nd year because there are U of A students doing electives there. Manitoba lets you do it as well. I think it's fairly prevalent.

Are you asking as a Canadian student or an American or IMG? Those scenarios might be a bit different.

Edit: I also know that any electives you do between 2nd and 3rd year at U of A can be partially applied to your 5 week mandatory elective time in 3rd year. So if you do a 3 week elective in the summer and you want to take a week off during 3rd year, you can do 4 weeks of mandatory elective and your summer elective covers the 5th. You also have the option of just doing a lot of electives in the summer to bump your total elective time, especially if you want to do it at a location that's not your home school which you might have difficulty accessing during the school year.

At U of A you can do electives as a clerk between 2nd and 3rd year - they are more like trial electives to see if you like the specialty because you won't have that much skill...so faculty suggests you don't use them with the motive to find a reference letter unless you return to that place when you've gained more experience as a real clerk. I think Calgary takes students who just finished 2nd year because there are U of A students doing electives there. Manitoba lets you do it as well. I think it's fairly prevalent.

Are you asking as a Canadian student or an American or IMG? Those scenarios might be a bit different.

Edit: I also know that any electives you do between 2nd and 3rd year at U of A can be partially applied to your 5 week mandatory elective time in 3rd year. So if you do a 3 week elective in the summer and you want to take a week off during 3rd year, you can do 4 weeks of mandatory elective and your summer elective covers the 5th. You also have the option of just doing a lot of electives in the summer to bump your total elective time, especially if you want to do it at a location that's not your home school which you might have difficulty accessing during the school year.

Hey Cardiomegaly,

I just have a question about your post:

So is it a 3:1 ratio as far as elective credits are concerned? So three weeks of electives done in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year only count as one week of electives during the academic year?

thanks

No that was an example lol I don't think there is a ratio. Unsure of the maximum amount if weeks you can substitute. Plus it's not good to sub in a lot since your electives in 3rd year will be much better for references

Ah ok, thanks for that. Yeah I agree on not wanting to sub in alot, but I figured maybe subbing in 1 week between harsh rotations could allow me to recover.

thanks

Archived