Premed 101 Forums

Course lengths - applicants who did undergrad at u of o

Guest Nikhila

Guest Nikhila

Hello everyone,

I got my verification form from OMSAS in the mail last week and they changed a couple of my course lengths, leaving me a little confused. My question is this: I was under the impression that lab courses that have no lecture component, just pure lab, that are one semester in length are converted to a course length of 0.5. So this is what I entered. But the OMSAS personnel changed it to 1.0. When I e-mailed Lisa Browing, OMSAS supervisor, she wrote back (super quick too, a very efficient lady) saying that because the lab was 3 credits (I went to the University of Ottawa for my undergrad) it was changed to a course length of 1.0. Nowhere in the OMSAS instructions did it say anything about this. The other change the OMSAS people made to my grades was for a seminar course that I took in my 4th year. It was a full year course, required for those completing an honours research project, so because it was full year I entered in a course length of 2.0, but it was changed to 1.0 because the course was 2 credits. I spoke to a friend of mine currently attending medical school and she said when she applied last year that she entered in her lab as 0.5 and her seminar as 2.0 and that OMSAS didn't change it. Is anyone aware if a change was made to this year's application process? Or maybe I am missing something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Nikhila

Archived