Premed 101 Forums

First Year!!

Guest mtws

Hello out there in internet land…

I’d been neglecting my “moderator” duties here since I started med school (sorry Ian :) )… So I spent about an hour reading some of the posts last night… and every time I came across something that I thought I might give advice about, someone else had already responded… So, I figured I’d add my thoughts on UofO MedsI instead.

It's been unbelievable. Lets see... Frosh week was great. Tried to recapture my youth for about a week in September (and in the process probably pushed it farther away?!?). And then the real fun began...

Seriously though, this program is practically perfect. There is really very little to complain about. Small group PBL sessions on Mon and Fri that relate to the course work for the week, and lectures that give you the nuts and bolts of what you need to know, in between. PSD needs a little work but it accomplishes what it sets out to do… Study time is worked into the schedule, and our elective opportunities are practically boundless… And when you finish the exams you actually feel like you’ve learned some things that will be useful and remain with you for the rest of your career. I love it.

Good luck to all you med hopefuls… Hang in there.

Cheers,

Matt

UofO Meds 007

(still get a chill when I write that!)

Hi Med applicants,

I agree fully with mtws. The program is so perfectly geared to my needs. I was apprehensive at the start, but I feel like I'm comfortable with the program and with the city. It's true that there are some things that could be improved, but I'm really happy.

By the way, PSD stands for Physician Skills Development. It's a course where we work with physicians and develop certain skills (i.e. asking patients questions, dealing with communication, and learning to get comfortable with taking a history). The most important thing that I learned in class was how big a role psychosocial aspects play in the course of someone's illness. For all the meds hopefuls out there, I'd encourage you to think about things like that in case they come up in your interview (often, they can be inserted during an ethics question, or an opinion question, or a health-care related question)

Good luck with all your exams and keep a positive attitude. I think that's most important. Persistence pays off in the long run :)

EJL

Guest UOMeds06

Everything seems perfect for you now...wait until you get to second year! Haha...just kidding!! .... though I do long for the days in first year when I left campus while there was still light outside! ....oh wait, it's winter....I forgot.

UOMeds06

Archived