Premed 101 Forums

Medical school from Cejep

Hockey44

Hey Guys,

I just have a question concerning my possible entrance to McGill's medical school. Starting September, I'm going to attend John Abbot in the pathways to Scicence program. They admissions lady said if I mantain a 60% in my core classes I can get brougt to the Science Program. My question is now that I wil onlyl finish Cegep in 2 1/2 yrs because of my first semester, will I still be able to apply to the premed program at Mcgill and skip the 4 year Bachelor program?

Thanks

No.

You need to finish your DEC in 4 semesters.

If you were not accepted straight into the science program at JAC, then chances are you are not competitive enough for pre-med anyway. That may seem harsh, but you should realize that med applications are cut-throat.

Doing a bachelors is not such a bad thing... it's only 2 years more than pre-med and you actually get to enjoy a part of your university experience.

By ''core classes'', you mean :

a) Pre-required classes for the Sciences programme;

or

B) D.E.C. classes like litterature, humanities, ...

???:confused:

For option A, there should be no problem, as long as you complete your DEC in Sciences in 2 years, 4 semesters, no interruption, no summer classes (as it is mentionned here : http://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/admissions/criteria/med-p-reqs/)

Now for option B you cannot be admitted in the MED-P programme because you won't have completed your DEC in Sciences in 4 semesters with a normal course load.

Sorry I meant my prerequisites,

I didn't get in because I finished Math with a 67%. On the other hand, it is totally my fault because my study habits in high school were horrible.

My question is, my first semester i'm in a pathways program to science program. I'm postive I will get into science after my first semester. This means, it will take me 2 1/2 yrs to finish cegep. Can I still apply to McGill?

If not, are there other schools?

justletmein just answered you.

Each of the other schools are an email away and they will answer you directly.

I did not qualify for the med-pre program. I went to UG. I nchanged my attitude, my study habits, my wortk ethic, my time and stress management skills. I matured greatly during UG and these years have been necessary in my growth and development. I leanred so much in my studies and prepared myself for a Plan B. Over your lifetime, whether you practice medicine for 38 years, 43 or 47 years, you will make your contribution and a few extra years here or there you will eventually discover will not matter. This journey is a marathon and not a sprint, you are in it for the long haul and be prepared mentally and emotionally for this probability. Study habits, a strong work ethic is absolutely essential, and I only developed this at university and not Cegep. So, build a strong foundation and every detour has a silver lining.

But now, if Hockey44 attends extra classes for his prerequisites, I don't see why he would not be accepted in Med-P. On McGill website, it is clearly stated:

'' Applicants must be currently enrolled in the final year of a pre-university Science program (200.B0) of the Québec Colleges of General and Professional Education (CEGEP) and must complete this program in two consecutive years. The applicant must carry a full course load in each of the regular consecutive semesters of study, without interruption. ''

I don't think an extra semester of fulfilling prerequisites for the program counts as ½ year of the ''2 years'' they're looking for. If you complete your math class, then enroll in Sciences 200.B0 and finish THIS VERY program in two years, there should be no problem. But hey, the best way of knowing it is to call the admission office ! ;)

Archived