Premed 101 Forums

Overseas Study

Hockey44

Hi Guys,

I just have a question concerning overseas study. I have heard more and more people are taking this approach as they still want a career in medicine.

My question is, do most of these people go overseas if they fail to get into pre-med or do they leave after failing to gain admisson with their bachelor degree?

Also are their any advantages and disadvantages with taking this route?

Thank you

Hi Guys,

I just have a question concerning overseas study. I have heard more and more people are taking this approach as they still want a career in medicine.

My question is, do most of these people go overseas if they fail to get into pre-med or do they leave after failing to gain admisson with their bachelor degree?

Also are their any advantages and disadvantages with taking this route?

Thank you

I would say after their bachelor degree. But that's just my experience, maybe I'm mistaken.

After BSc or even later, normally people going that route are 25+. Nonetheless, that has been changing and people are opting to apply overseas earlier now; sometimes after cegep or 1 or 2 years of univ.

advantages: you get into med school and become a doctor, which is great as that's your goal.

disadvantages: some school's education or the resources available to you at those schools are inferior to what you might receive here. However there are tons of great schools as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Going overseas is not the optimum approach. Those who don't get into med school in Canada might go abroad, Caribbean, Australia, Ireland. Some go to USA, which is the simplest alternative. All are very expensive and each have their problems for those who wish to return to Canada to practice medicine. And mostly, they won't be allowed t o practice in the country of their training.

Archived