Premed 101 Forums

Re-writing my MCAT ... Should I redo Princeton Review Class?

Hi Guys,

For those of you whom have re-taken the MCAT?

Should I retake the Princeton Review course as well? Like the sit down classes?

Regardless I will get the new books and access to ongoing practise tests !!

Did any of you decide not to ... just get the books and do it yourself the second time round?

I would love to hear your advice :)

Thanks

I didn't.

I re-wrote when mine expired. I already knew the sort of questions the MCAT asked, the sort of study schedule I'd need, the way I learned the material best... I felt I didn't want to sit in class and have to go at the pace of a first time learner since I'd already run the course and seen the finish line.

If you can stay motivated then why not hone in on the areas you need while making sure you still study comprehensively?

Alternately if you're having a hard time with motivation then the class might be very useful, but I'd consider doing more this time than you did last time. Don't just repeat your steps, make new ones.

I retook princeton, went to the first class... and realized it would be a waste of time to sit in on class again...

I knew the stuff well, I just needed to review it. Practice is much more useful the second time around, or any time for that matter.

However, to get the free set of new books, and access to all the AAMC practice tests and tokens to have my writing samples graded... it certainly makes sense just to sign up to get that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that I had a much better idea of what to expect the second time around. I also made sure I had updated materials - a general MCAT study guide for example but am using it for review. I have been dedicating time each day to busting back into my text books and class notes.

If you are able to maintain the discipline to study on your own, while sticking to a schedule that provides you sufficient prep time, you really don't need to pay for sit down classes.

Alternatively, if you feel that life in general is restricting your study time or maybe you just can't hit the books as often as you want, go for the classes. At least you'll have that scheduled, dedicated time each week.

Good luck!

Archived