Premed 101 Forums

Grad school admissions

What is the typical GPA requirement to get into grad school? (ie. science-based graduate studies) Is it only 3rd/4th year grades that matter? and I think they require letters of recommendation from professors specifically (I'm guessing the ones you did research with, or can it be any prof who knows you?). And what sort of funding is available, besides osap loans? Are there "entrance" scholarships like there are for undergrad? (all my questions refer to Ontario universities btw).

sorry if these seem like ignorant questions, I've never really thought of grad studies until now, and hope its not too late to start optimizing my chances (going into my 3rd year of undergrad). thanks :)

P.S - can you get into a grad program with just a 3 year degree?

These are all generalizations and of course there are exceptions to everything, but I'll try to answer your questions. I know very little about schools in Ontario, but the general idea is the same all over.

-The GPA required varies depending on the program and the school, but if you have a GPA above 3.0 you should be able to get into grad school somewhere. I've known people with GPA's in the low 2's but great research experience who have gotten into grad school also.

-Funding comes in the form of TA jobs, research assistant jobs, grants that your supervisor might have, and grants that you apply for from external agencies like NSERC. Most people have funding from a combination of sources. If you're in a research based master's (or PhD) in a science field, then the department typically guarantees you some minimum level of funding, like maybe $20,000 a year for example.

-You will need letters of recommendation from professors, and profs who know your research abilities are the best, but they don't all have to profs that you have done research with. If you were a TA for a prof that would also be a good person to get one from. Just make sure you pick the ones that know you best (and will say good things about you!) and that at least one or two can comment on your research abilities or potential.

-A lot of grad programs will not accept people with 3 year degrees, but there are exceptions to this at some schools and in some programs.

If you post what field you're wanting to go into and any specific schools you're thinking about, you'll probably find people on here who can give you some more specifics.

These are all generalizations and of course there are exceptions to everything, but I'll try to answer your questions. I know very little about schools in Ontario, but the general idea is the same all over.

-The GPA required varies depending on the program and the school, but if you have a GPA above 3.0 you should be able to get into grad school somewhere. I've known people with GPA's in the low 2's but great research experience who have gotten into grad school also.

-Funding comes in the form of TA jobs, research assistant jobs, grants that your supervisor might have, and grants that you apply for from external agencies like NSERC. Most people have funding from a combination of sources. If you're in a research based master's (or PhD) in a science field, then the department typically guarantees you some minimum level of funding, like maybe $20,000 a year for example.

-You will need letters of recommendation from professors, and profs who know your research abilities are the best, but they don't all have to profs that you have done research with. If you were a TA for a prof that would also be a good person to get one from. Just make sure you pick the ones that know you best (and will say good things about you!) and that at least one or two can comment on your research abilities or potential.

-A lot of grad programs will not accept people with 3 year degrees, but there are exceptions to this at some schools and in some programs.

If you post what field you're wanting to go into and any specific schools you're thinking about, you'll probably find people on here who can give you some more specifics.

Thanks so much astrogirl! I was specifically looking into U of T's grad programs. I think one of their molecular genetics grad programs had a gpa requirement of 3.7 if I remember correctly. but it's good to know they aren't that high everywhere (i think lol). thanks for the info.

your best bet is to find a professor and get them on your side... start emailing professors and say you are interested in doing graduate work with them... read some of their papers and say you liked them, etc. ask to meet and talk to them. ask if they have funding etc.

right now it's very competitive, but if you have the right professor interested in you, it doesn't matter if you have a 3.9 or a 2.9.

Archived