Premed 101 Forums

Ranking of Australian medical schools from a Canadian perspective?

As a Canadian with some intent to eventually come back to Canada to practise, how would the following Australian schools be ranked in terms of the education and chances of coming back?

Australian National University (ANU)

Flinders

Monash

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

With IMG's it ultimately boils down to the student, rather than the school. That said my top pick was Flinders based on their relationship with Ontario Med Schools, the way their electives run, and their current student's success with coming back.

Thanks for the insight, nosuperman! :)

My observation is that Flinders is quite Canadian-friendly.

I know that ANU is a reputable university (some consider it the best in Australia) but its medical school is relatively new. I wonder if a lot of Canadians are studying there? Can anyone share their experience please? :D

• 1 month later...

I think Flinders and Monash are pretty well established schools with a long history. If ANU is new as others are suggesting, then I'd probably steer clear of it if you can get into one of the better schools. The majority of medical school is about how hard YOU work, not how good the school is..but there does have to be a certain level of competency with the school to help guide you in the right direction, IMHO.

I'm studying at ANU and I can't really complain about it. The only crappy part is living in Canberra, which can be incredibly boring, but at least there aren't that many distractions from studying! Their program is based off the USyd model (apparently UBC is too), as they were a satellite of USyd until 6/7 years ago. It's PBL and lecture-based for the first two years, clinical for the last two, much like other programs. Some lecturers are good, some are not so good. The Neurology block is taught quite well (finishing it up at the moment). Of the two main lecturers, one was top of his class at Cambridge and is an absolute genius (amazing at explaining things as well) and the other main neuro lecturers wrote the neuro curriculum for pretty much all Australian medical schools, so you do get some quality teaching. On the other hand, like all Australian medical schools there is a lot of emphasis on law and ethics and non-medical stuff which is incredibly frustrating when it's worth up to 30% of an exam.

There aren't ever 20 international students in a year; I'm not sure why they advertise 20 as that would be over 20% of their year. In my year there are 7 internationals, 6 of them being Canadian. However, in the year below me there are only 2 internationals (none being Canadian), and in the year above me there are only 2 internationals (1 being Canadian).

The course is nice in that it's quite small so you get to know everyone and people aren't as competitive. People try and help each other and you get quite close with everyone. There are loads of opportunities to work in research at the hospital and at the university.

That being said, read up on the internship crisis. To stay here in Oz and practice you need to do an internship, but it's affecting NSW and Queensland the worst so far. I'm guessing Victoria will be next followed by SA and the ACT. I'm not sure what it will be like in 4 years, but you have to seriously look at the fact that you may be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt without a job in sight.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/students-vie-for-limited-places/1955952.aspx

http://www.news.com.au/national/medical-graduates-have-nowhere-to-go/story-e6frfkvr-1225929215656?ref=nf

http://ama.com.au/node/5996

Archived