Premed 101 Forums

about the MD-PhD program...

shuks

hi guys, has anyone been accepted to the md-phd program at mcgill? if so, id really appreciate it if you could tell me what it takes to make it in the program in terms of ECs, work/volunteer experience or more. I know that you have to maintain a high gpa and that you have to be considered as a good applicant in the mdcm program in order to be considered in the mdphd. i just want to be aware of the expected accomplishments that i have to have when applying to the mdphd. if you could share your experiences that would be really great (feel free to PM me if you prefer to)...thanks alot!

-shuks :);)

I think the most important aspect of your application should be your genuine interest in scientific/medical research. You can't just talk about it... you have to show them why you're interested and what steps you have taken to satisfy this curiosity for research (i.e. summer research, poster presentations, etc...)

More program specific information is available on McGill's website.

In my class I know about 4 of the MD/PhDs pretty well and have met the rest, and honestly, I don't think their grades or general ECs were any different than the rest, the real key is that they have all shown genuine interests in research; either working in labs, doing masters degrees, summer research positions, publications, etc prior to their application.

Don't get discouraged just because you aren't sure of yourself. If you think you have a shot for the MDCM program then you will have the same shot for the MDCM/PhD program, you just need to show the admissions people that you are interested in practicing research and not just practicing medicine!

The competition isn't as bad as you think for the MDCM/PhD program because most people aren't too keen on doing a 7+ year degree...

Sorry. Sometimes connections can help. I huess you can knock on doors, i.e., find out who is doing research and try to see them, with or without an email first. The first break is the most difficult.

I just want to clarify how research works...maybe i dont have the right idea. You have to work for someone or do it on your own? If I were to find a physician doing research, I would have to help him/her doing their research (i.e. helping out in labs and stuff)? I'd really appreaciate it if you could tell me what research really means and what is entails. thanks a lot!

It really doesn't have to be limited to physicians doing research. It can also be any biochemical related, biochemistry, epidemiology. There are a LOT of researchers associated with the medical department that aren't actually physicians and they are JUST as good if not better in their fields.

The people in my class in the PhD component are doing research in a LOT of different areas so don't consider it limited to finding cures for cancer or the next big pharma drug.

Archived