<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>hanging out on the good waitlist....</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>tappety tap</username>

<dateline>1056834420</dateline>

<title>hanging out on the good waitlist....</title>

<pagetext>Is anyone else on the board still hanging on the good waitlist? This wait is really chipping away at me!!!

Do you think there will be more waitlist movement after July 3rd once people's conditional acceptances are finalized to the other ontario schools?

Is there any kind of trend from past years with when and how quickly the list moves throughout the summer?

I am trying to distract myself but my anxiety just seems to get worse with everyday that my voicemail says "no new messages".........

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did not want to post this because I did not want to give anyone in the bad list false hopes, but last year they exhausted the good wait list in late June. A good friend of mine was called off the bad list in early July and at least 2 more I know off (including one the first week of orientation). So, hang in there :) Your chances are good

Guest MayFlower1

Geeze Sil...thanks, both sarcastically and sincerely! :P Sarcastically, for re-generating an extinguished spark of hope! Sincerely, as it gave me a little boost out of the depression and stress of not getting a first-round offer or good waitlist this year and now trying to finalize the backup...man, it would be amazing to be called off the "bad" waitlist...I'd be down at the office with my deposit in a heart beat! Unfortunately, since Tappety Tap hasn't heard anything (I really feel for you...you must have no fingernails left...or does "chipping away" mean you've progressed past your fingernails to your digits?! :eek ) they obviously haven't exhausted the good waitlist yet...

Here's to hoping they do soon so TT can get in...and then they can get on with us "bad" guys!

Oh, and about your answering machine...that's nothing...mine says the following...

"Hello, you have no new voice messages...if you're obsessive-compulsive...press 1 repeatedly...if you're schizophrenic...listen to the little voice in your head...it will tell you which number to press...if you're anal retentive...please continue to hold..."

Peter

P.S. TT...sorry I haven't been around lately...I've seen a few chat messages from you but haven't received them while you were online...as you've probably already noticed my account is always on-line...I should probably select the "away" button sometimes, eh? We should chat soon. The medicator will be coming up to ottawa for SJA stuff in August, I believe, a party to follow at my place...you guys interested?

Guest chill2

Hi tappety tap and others

You're definitely not alone. I think I know what you mean by chipping away I think you mean at your sanity. Regardless of what you do, It's always there. Lurking at the back of your mind. I have even done little trips out of town, to get away, and it's still there. And no matter how much you try to be cool, and say, aaahhh it's not ottawa, every time the phone rings or you have a message you get this little voice saying "what if it is?"

Anyway, I keep hoping the same, that once the replies of the previous waitlisters go beck (June 30th I think) and the replies of the conditionals (July 3rd I guess) then we'll hear something (OH PLEASE OH PLEASE)

This experience has added a line to my life-long philosophies and that is that waiting is cruel and unusual punishment. I will never ever make anyone wait again if I have anything to say about it.

Cheers to all :P

chill2

Guest tappety tap

Thanks guys...ahh what would i do without this ezboard?!? You guys are the best!!

When I said "chipping away" I was referring to my state of mind, not my fingernails! haha! I am so happy I never adopted that habit or there would be nothing left for sure right now!!

Sil...that is really great to hear...thanks so much for the info!!

Mayflower...a party sounds great...email me with details sometime ok? and thanks for the encouragement!!

chill2 ...keep us up to date! Are you on the good or not-so-good list?

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447640</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Ottawa and how they deal with graduate summer marks?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>Kirsteen</username>

<dateline>1056988020</dateline>

<title>Ottawa and how they deal with graduate summer marks?</title>

<pagetext>Hi there,

I'm thinking a wee bit ahead to the upcoming application process here... Can any of you guys shed some light on how Ottawa U. may factor in graduate marks from summer courses? I realize that they do use the wGPA for graduate students' courses, but how, if at all, do summer courses slot into those wGPA calculations?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wassabi101

Hey Kirsteen :D

This one I think I can answer for once.... ;) If you're applying in October, I imagine OMSAS will have all your summer courses on your transcript. Ottawa doesn't actually calculate a WGPA using your graduate marks and neither does OMSAS.

OMSAS sends back your marks/wGPA for verification around December and don't include your graduate marks (in fact they can't even be entered when you're applying, they're only sent to them).

What Ottawa does do is look at your graduate marks incase you don't have at least a 3.3 for your undergrad overall average. If you do, then you're fine. If you don't, then they check your grad courses to make sure you have all A's. If you do, then they ask you to send them proof of scientific productivity etc. (manuscripts, presentations etc.) and the Graduate committee revises these in order to decide whether you should have an interview or not. In order to make your competitive with other undergrads, they calculate your new WGPA as follows = 2.0 + (0.5Xundergrad WGPA) and from that rank you on their list for an interview.

After you have an interview, then they rank you according to your interview score, and within each interview score, by your new WGPA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! All the info is here:

www.medicine.uottawa.ca/p...2-2003.pdf

Hope this helps and good luck,

-wassabi

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there wassabi101! :)

One thing that Ottawa does do that's not mentioned in your posting, is that, for course-based Masters, e.g., MBAs, and many public health degrees (where we fall in ;) ) they actually WILL use the graduate course marks to calculate the WGPA. I've just no idea if they'd include summer courses in this. Ack!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wassabi101

Hey Kirsteen,

Well that's good news, but definitely news to me! :D I had never seen my wGPA calculated with my graduate course marks and they've never told me this. I know that from OMSAS, they weren't included. How did you find this out?

Nevertheless, I don't see why they wouldn't include your summer courses.....yes it might not be a full course load, but what's considered a full course load in grad studies? At McGill it's considered 3 or more courses per semester but then when you add in a thesis of 40 something credits, you're kind of always full time :D;)

I'd call them to make sure though!

You still at McGill taking Epi classes?

Karen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again wassabi101,

I hope all's well with you in Montreal. I miss it already! (Have you ever visited the lovely wee terrace of Boris Bistro just off rue McGill? If not, do! It's a brilliant wee place.)

As to Ottawa's treatment of graduate applicant marks, I heard the stuff directly from the Assistant Dean of Admissions this year: he called me up early one morning, heralding the news. (Quite the impressive gesture!) Apparently it is a fairly new policy, brought on by the increasing number of course-heavy programs of certain types of graduate applicants that have been applying to Ottawa these past years. I never had the foresight, however, to ask how summer courses factor into it all. :rolleyes

As to summering, the blissful stint chez Montreal is now over and I'm swagging away at two more courses here at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. QUITE the different experience from Montreal, city-wise. As to Pharmacoepi courses (and I'm taking another here), nothing yet compares to McGill's Lucien Abenhaim! Love that guy. One shot in the arm for JH over McGill though: air conditioning in the residence rooms. Last week was NOT the week to be sleeping in Montreal in Royal Victoria College residence! ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wassabi101

:lol RVC! :lol

I can't believe they placed you there for accomodation--why not the graduate housing? well at least they have *security* at the front door that won't allow any boys AND two nice grands :D That's the only reason I ever went to go visit my friends there ;) Please tell me they didn't feed you there too ;) (just teasing you of course)

I've heard Lucien is a good prof but I've never actually had him...I believe he's still working in France and only comes to McGill in the summer to teach his course. He's the old director of the department here at the Jewish Hospital so I've heard a lot of good things about him. It's great you had the chance to have him as a professor. I thought when you wrote JH you were referring to Jim Hanley actually, as he's one of my fav prof! :D Did you have any other profs at McGill? It must be an amazing experience out at John Hopkins. What in your opinion is the big difference between Canada's focus on pharmacoepi and the States focus?

Did you end up attending the conference in Halifax after all?

Other than that, all is well here in Montreal. I'm knee deep in my thesis at the moment and the occasional day, I feel like I'm losing it :\ , but then a nice sip of coffee and paragraph out on the balcony later, and I'm loving it all over again. I have to say that I'm going to miss the so called independence of grad school.

How about yourself? What do you think you'll be doing next year? Will you have finished your Master's yet?

Cheers,

-wassabi

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there the wassabi!

Great e-mail! :) No idea re: the non-grad housing. Actually, last week was insane there as the rooms' ambient temperatures must have soared well into the nineties at night. ...and the computer room--woooo! What heat!

Lucien is brilliant and a really riveting teacher. He's actually going to be returning to McGill from France (he was Director General of Health, or something along those lines there), this September and resuming academia. You're probably all done with courses now, else I'd highly recommend a course with him, which is too, too bad.

Other profs chez McGill: Jaime Caro (for Pharmacoeconomics) and Jean, ack--I forget the last prof's name. How terrible. He's quite soft-spoken, with a gray beard.

As to Canada and the US re: Pharmacoepi, it seems wildly different. The FDA is huge here (our primary lecturers are FDA honchos) and the US pharmaco world seems to rotate about them. Canadian databases are much easier to deal with and have much more complete data when trying to turn Pharmacoepi studies. Yay Canada! Overall though, it's great to get a different bent on things.

No to the Halifax conference due to the direct conflict with one of the McGill courses.

Great bags of luck to you on the thesis write-up! I've heard that they can be, a wee bit testing. ;) On this end, I'm hoping to have that part of the process finished by January, after which I'd like to spend a few months working and checking out some meds specialties before hopefully starting meds somewhere in Sept. 2004. :rolleyes

Cheers!

Kirsteen

Guest premed81

Hi everyone,

For those you on the "good" waitlist, would you mind generally or in range-wise mention what your GPA and MCAT scores were? I'm going to apply this summer for 2004 entry, and I would love to get into Ottawa so I just want to gauge what the academic status is for those on the "good" waitlist. Also, for those on the "good" waitlist, does that you all got interviews? Thanks.

Guest tappety tap

Hi premed81,

Well the way admissions works at U of O is first your grades and CV basically are looked at...and a subset of the applicants get interviews. Then after the intervies, everyone is ranked by interview score...gpa only matters in the case where people have tied interview scores, in which case those subgroups are ranked by gpa...then the top 123 people get first round offers...and everyone else gets put on a waitlist...a certain part of the waitlist gets a letter saying that they don't have a very high chance of being called off the waitlist because of their position on the list...that is what's referred to as the "bad waitlist" portion..the good waitlist is the higher part of the waitlist...where people supposedly have a very good chance of getting in...in the past...everyone the good waitlist has gotten in and even a few people on the bad list...but I guess it differs from year to year.

MCAT is not looked at U of O

The gpa cutoff to get an interview is about 3.8ish for out of ottawa applicants, 3.6ish for ottawa residents and around 3.3ish for franco-ontarian applicants...

Good luck!!!

Guest Tartuffe

Hello Tappety Tap,

Do you know how it works at Ottawa U when undergraduate studies have been done abroad and graduate studies in Canada?

It would be great, if you had the answer :D

Guest premed81

Hi tappety tap,

Thanks for your response although it was kinda discouraging. First of all, I just remembered that U of O doesn't look at MCAT, and even though my GPA for the most part is alright, it certainly is not near 3.8ish since I'm not from Ottawa. I'm still fairly new to the forum, but are you a U of O (incoming) medical student? If so and with your experience, am I still competitive for U of O if my GPA is not around that cutoff? I know other factors are considered, but let's with all else being equal. Thanks.

Guest premed81

Hi tappety tap,

Scratch that last question I asked you about whether you were an incoming med student. I didn't read the messages properly and I've got a lot on my mind with this whole application process and the anxiety and studying for MCAT and trying to read all the instructions about everything so carefully. Anyhow.....hope to hear from you soon.

Guest pasoo

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but thats exactly what a cut off is - a cut off:(

Meaning if you dont make the GPA cut-off for Ottawa i.e. if the cut off is 3.83 which i believe it was last year, and you have a 3.82, you will not be considered further even if you saved America from Osama bin Laden

All the schools are like that though in Ontario, you must meet the GPA cutoff to get an interview (queens=3.59, western=3.7, mac=3.0, U of t=3.6 minimum but generally higher, U of O= 3.6X for Ottawa, 3.8X for Ontario for places like Thornhill, Toronto etc...not sure what it is for franco-phones or underserved areas like Thunder bay etc but it is lower)

Unfortuantly, that is the situation in all of Canadian med schools i believe....it is not like the states where they take a more holistic approach...

I hope that helps!

Guest g22g

quote: it is not like the states where they take a more holistic approach...

Yes Ottawa's approach in particular is unique.

I would like to add to the discussion by saying the following:

Ottawa doesn't use the MCAT at all because its not (also)given in French, and according to the someone in the admissions office because the essay section reeks of American politics. Therefore this is one factor that prevents Ottawa from providing a more holistic approach...? Yet you have to say it you no longer can have the below 8 cutoff for the MCAT, so because they can take ANY MCAT they might be considered more holistic? Please note that I have been told that your detailed list of experiences is also used to remore people who DO make the GPA cut.

The GPA is waited considerably so you could probably have a realistic 3.5-3.6 GPA and messed up your first year but end up with a 3.8. With the 3.3 GPA for the French side of the program doesn't even really concern the English side. I would guess that the 3.3 GPA is set to get enough well rounded students to interview for the ~32 Ontario spots in the French program. This could be where your experiences have a greater impact on the interview process, I don't know. I also understand that there are three other tracks to get into Ottawa. One is out of province Francophone (8 spots) and another is Military (4 spots), the last is the graduate subcommittee (see below).

There is also a special graduate student track which is COMPLETELY HOLISTIC (fine print: well as long as you have above a 3.0 as an undergrad and an A average (3.7) as a grad, regardless of OUT of PROVINCE) Then they take into account letters, publications, your CV, MCAT/GRE scores(not asked for but why not if there good), and anything else you want to give them.

This grants you an interview if the subcommittee wishes. Furthermore, your undergraduate GPA is reworked by effectively increasing you WGPA by 1/2 its worth e.g. WGPA 3.5 now WGPA 3.75. The thought being that your undergrad GPA sucked and isn't counted in the subcommittee so should be modified to some extent before its use as a tie breaker to a common interview score.

What I am about to say might be argumentative but I feel that the interview process having such a predominant effect on your chance of getting in really indicates that it is a holistic approach because its focused on your personality and wherewithal. They no longer talk about your GPA (and obviously MCAT) at this step or your research if your a Grad student (unless you have nothing else to talk about and then I shame you because they want to know why you want to go to medical school not a Post Doc).

In regards to the schools in the States, I am not sure which ones are on you mind. But almost all competitive school adds your GPA and your MCAT score together and that's all folks. But I must say some of the small state schools like Arizona does interview all applicants and then your GPA, MCAT, letters, essay, extras are a factor (an ideal holistic approach?). Yet this works out well because there are only 500 students applying to Arizona due to residency restrictions. Hard to do that for the several thousand students applying to each Ontario school?

Additionally, would you say that the Ontario schools are in the "competitive group." It has been said elsewhere that the Ontario schools would rank in the top 35 of the American schools out of 115ish.

A unique system indeed, I tend to write to this list infrequently but with extreme verbosity:lol so thanks for getting this far:D ,

g22g

AKA: "The recluse defender against unwarranted bad mouthing of Ottawa, Ontario, or Canada vis a vi the USA."

Guest pasoo
g22g

AKA: "The recluse defender against unwarranted bad mouthing of Ottawa, Ontario, or Canada vis a vi the USA."

hey hey g22g, I am a true blooded Canadian, and always will be, and will be attending medical school in Ontario! :D

I think you may have misunderstood my post...in no way was I bashing Canadian med schools...let me clarify my point of view;

When I say the U.S. med schools are more holistic in their approach to admissions, I meant that many of them (including Standford, UCLA, GWU, Pritzker, Dartmouth, Cornell) do not have cut and dry cut-offs like many Canadian med schools do, like Queen's or Ottawa for example.

At Queens, you dont get a 10 in Verbal, you dont get an interview...for Ottawa, dont make the GPA cut off, you dont get an interview......U.S. med schools do NOT penalize you just because you got a certain MCAT score or GPA score..

I strongly disagree with your statement that "almost all competitive school [in the U.S.] adds your GPA and your MCAT score together and that's all folk"..a simple search on Cornell Admissions for example, shows that they do NOT have any specific GPA or MCAT cut-offs...they only give "averages"..and that is key....if your GPA is poor, then you can make it up via the MCAT, or if your MCAT/GPA is poor, then perhaps their are some circumstances that might be explained in your personal statement....in summary, many if not all of the top med schools (according to U.S. News) do not have rigid cut-offs...they look at the entire package..

With respect to Ottawa, I also disagree with your statement that "[Ottawa has] a special graduate student track which is COMPLETELY HOLISTIC"....this is not true because according to you, this is assuming "you have above a 3.0 as an undergrad and an A average (3.7) as a grad." (actually it is a 3.3 undergrad GPA now)

Suppose someone does a masters at the Dept of Medical Biophysics at U of T, publishes several journals in Nature, Cell, and Science, and also finds time to travel to Africa on his/her vacation to help with health education, but only has a 3.1 GPA in undergrad, and a 3.95 as a grad, do you think Ottawa will grant this person an interview? Well according to Ottawa, NO because

“This criterion will be applied strictly,

since the spirit of the graduate policy is to allow applicants

who do not qualify on the basis of their undergraduate

marks to demonstrate clearly and conclusively that their

academic performance has improved”

My sentiments aren’t directed at Ottawa only….a friend of mine has a 3.98 GPA and a MCAT score of 6 V, 11 PS, 14 BS, and T WR. Guess which school he/she was only able to apply to? Yup that’s right, McMaster and Ottawa……all the others rejected him/her solely because of that verbal score….but if he/she were to apply to the States, he/she would NOT be automatically rejected….that’s what I mean that U.S. med schools are more holistic – they are willing to look beyond the numbers.

Now, that is not to say that you should apply to Standford with a 3.3 GPA and 25 MCAT score and hope that you should get an interview….you COULD apply, but realistically, you don’t have a decent shot because your well below the average…..perhaps maybe if you won a nobel prize or something (or if you’re an URM but that’s for another discussion)……but at least there’s (I believe this to be correct, but not 100% sure) not a computer that eliminates everyone whose below a Q in the Writing Sample or below a 3.7 GPA (which was Western’s cutoffs for those who don’t know).....Standford WILL still look at your entire app

So in short, what I’m trying to say is that in terms of getting accepted to U.S. med school, they wont solely reject you based on GPA/MCAT alone, many of them do not have rigid cut-offs….where as up in the great north, they can and do….

I do agree with you that Ontario Med schools are damn competitive to get into, but they are no where close to some of the U.S. med schools like:

Prizker: in 2001 – 3500 completed applications, 600 interview, 104 spots

Duke: in 2001 – 5249 apps received ( I have no idea how many completed apps though), but 1270 interviews and 99 accepted!

UCLA:5500 applications, sent out 3000 applicants, interviewed 600 and so forth

And one last thing:

you said:

the interview process having such a predominant effect on your chance of getting in really indicates that it is a holistic approach because its focused on your personality and wherewithal.

But how do you get to the interview? Well, you must first make the GPA cut-off :D

Guest g22g

Hello Passo,

We are having a little fun, I was going to edit the last line of my article because it seemed a little off color, a little too early morning bravado. But then I see your edited reply which quotes it and returns with some sarcasm so I'll leave it up there.

I find the use of the number of applicants a poor indication of the competition for the medical school, because of the lack of residency requirement for some schools. (yes I know UCLA has a requirement but California has the same population as Canada, and there is still a large out-of-state group shooting for the 5% of the class. Moreover Ontario schools by having a cutoff for GPA and/or MCAT actually remove many who would otherwise apply.

I am puzzled:

I do agree with you that Ontario Med schools are damn competitive to get into, but they are no where close to some of the U.S. med schools like...

and

in no way was I bashing Canadian med schools...let me clarify my point of view

Equals: Huh? Btw, I did say top 35.

Tell me what you think of this Toronto Star article...

www.torstarreports.com/NA...742e63fedb

More thoughts:

--Do Canadian school have committees of admission that can allow for a more holistic approach?

--Race and ethnicity is often a factor that is taken into account for the American Med School applicant does that play into the reason why they are more "holistic?" The University of Arizona Med School takes about three special students who are "risk" applicants meaning that there is serious concern that they can handle the classload (like a GPA under 3.0)but they have an impressive experience or background. read more below.

--The website http://www.mdapplicant.com is helpful in analyzing your chances of what it takes to get into a particular programme.

--I like what McMaster does with special applicants.

--To not even get a 3.3. WGPA almost means that you had either lots of A and then Cs or lots of Cs and then As. I am not sure they could survive the toil of medical school (well maybe if they had a high MCAT score but lets say they didn't or didn't take it). Master programs have a different feel because there would only be like 6 lectures that contribute to your grade. These classes might not be standardized like undergrad classes are, etc.

--Isn't nice in one small way to have these standards then at least you know if what you need to strive for on the practice MCATs or how much you have to prioritize your classes (and maybe stick with another undergrad year)

--I would like to have a more detailed list of American schools that have / don't have cut offs. I know Mayo and Albert use to. (please forgive the previous post that was a hasty generalization)

Pasoo,

Good to chat, If I offended you I owe you a beer, If I am still offending you I owe you two beers, and if you have a publications in Cell, Science, and Nature I owe you a beer truck.

What question are we trying to get at again? I like Ottawa's approach over any other I have seen or heard about. I admit to having an obvious bias now, but I felt this way before May 30th.

Is there one school that you feel really does a good job at this, or what would you suggest? Keep in mind the demands that you place on the student applying, the people that have to do the screening, and the objectivity/"fairness" of your process. I open this question to anyone that has read this thread.

Cheers,

g22g

edited for spelling and Happy 4th of July wishes.

Guest premed81

Hi Pasoo and g22g,

I thought I'd just jump in since I feel like I started this little debate over U of O. I greatly appreciate all that both of you wrote in regards to the competitiveness of medical school applications. With that said, I believe that I would have a better shot in the United States if they were to at least look at my entire application. As I've said, my GPA, though it's pretty good, is not anywhere near most of those cut-offs. At most, I would meet the McMaster cutoff and that's it. It seems like a grueling process, but I'm going to put my best foot forward in both Canada and US. Thanks again.

Guest g22g

Hey Premed81,

Thanks for joining this little debate, discussion, or entertainment. I should say that I hope Passo's sense of humor is better than mine, he/she seriously seems like a really informed and articulate person. I was also serious about the beer. That "defender of the blah blah" was actually a stupid joke about myself because I have been in the States for so long.(it was going to be edited out, sorry)

For you, best of luck with the your process, what schools are you going to apply to? One great benefit of applying outside of Ontario is you likely know your status way before then end of May.

Don't the Ontario schools have unorthodox ways of calculating if you make the GPA cutoff. UWO takes your two best years, you know what Ottawa does, Toronto drops your lowest grade each term, and I am not sure what Queens or McMaster's does.

Good luck to becoming postmed81!

g22g

edited for clarity etc.

Guest wassabi101

It's always so much fun speaking with you Kirsteen!

Funny I haven't even heard of these profs either! :lol Especially since I'm VP-Academic! But it's not really in my field. I'm planning on continuing to be up to date on Epi since I'd like to have a career in Epi after my MD. If I don't end up doing a PHD because of the *huge* debt I seem to be getting myself into, then I would at least look into taking summer courses for those CME credits the pharmaceutical conferences are always selling us on ;) So I'll keep Lucien's course in mind.

Well good luck to you in finishing your thesis and getting into med school! It's going to be a hectic month for me finishing up and moving away. It would be great keep in touch though off the forum--I'll look forward to meeting you at Ottawa U Med and starting the Confounders Club ;)

Cheers,

-wassabi

Archived