Premed 101 Forums

how many places does Ottawa have?

Guest marbledust

Guest marbledust

I am sure this has been answered here before, so sorry for asking again - how many total places does Ottawa have available for incoming med students?

Guest UofOhopeful

From what Nicole told us on the interview day, there were 489 invites to an interview. 1 person declined the invite.

There are 118 spots available. Can't remember what the breakdown was for the English program, French program and "Other" program... I believe there were a number of spots set aside for students interested in the military stream. Does anyone have more specific numbers?

My class is 135 and according to the admin the class numbers will stay the same (no increase for next year). As for specific numbers, I really don't know specifics but I know in the English side, of the 95 there are 4 that came through the military stream. I know of 1 for sure in French (from 40) that is from the military. I think there are 8-10 spots (from the 40 in French) that are from the National Program (individuals that come from French communities outside of Ontario and Quebec).

Guest Phil667

How many of those 95 spots are reserved for out-of-province students? Or are all english applicants competing for all of those spots?

Phil

There are no spots reserved for out of province students. The average to get an interview as an OOP is very high but once you interview as an OOP your chances are as good as anyone elses.

Sil.

Guest UOMeds05

i forget the exact number as well... but as Sil said from the 95 you have to take away the number that are with the military program as well as the number of students that deferred last year. My guess is that you are looking at about 85 spots in the anglophone stream (plus or minus a couple).

Guest MayFlower1

UOMeds05,

My guess is that you are looking at about 85 spots in the anglophone stream (plus or minus a couple).

Geeze...10 spots for military and deferals? Yikes...somehow 95 spots seems significantly more than 85 :)

Peter

Guest peachy

But an approximately equal number should defer each year, so the deferral spots shouldn't significantly change the number of spots available, I would think.

Guest UOMeds05

good point peachy!

Don't quote me on the numbers... i'm really only reporting what "i think" i remember (not a very good account). I also seem to think that this year's class will have 136 students (one more from last year) because the military have added one seat. the seats that are designated for military do not come out of the total number for anglophone/francophone students. they are in and above. So despite the fact that there are 95 anglophones in this year's class, only a portion of that is for mainstream applications, others are designated for other application pools (eg: military positions). You can probably find on a website somewhere the actual designated number of funded spots for each university.

Archived