Premed 101 Forums

...and the pill-o'-meter says...

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

Hey everyone...the trusty pill-o'-meter says 17 days left!

I thought is was close enough to strike up this old thread again. I don't know about everyone else, however, I'm getting ready to face the news...the purpose of this thread is really to start people talking about their wishes, desires, backup plans and the crazy things we do whilst waiting for "the answer"...and, above all, to help distract everyone to make the time seem to pass as fast as possible!

So...how's everyone feeling? What are you doing to kill the time until "D-Day"? Is Ottawa your first choice or is it a backup? Where do you want to go? What's your backup plan?

Ok...I'll start...

1) I feel much better than last year. While I'm no more confident on an offer than I was last year (in fact, I'm somewhat less confident) I feel much less anxious...I know what I'll be doing next year will be fun and exciting whether I get an acceptance or not...although...being completely truthful...I'll be extremely disappointed if I don't get in this year.

2) Hmmmm...to kill time between now and "judgement day"...I'm pursuing "Plan B"...I'm learning new stuff...I'm doing as much volunteering and training I can do...I'm taking care of the business and technological side of my wife's Family Practice (website to be publicly launched very shortly)...and finally...I'm reading everything in all of the forums and trying to contribute wherever possible...sad...but true!

3) Ottawa is my first choice...although the UWO and McMaster programs look very enticing...

4) My backup plan is three-fold...the first five ideas, or preparations failed...preparations "A" through "F" were executed without a positive outcome. Preparation "G" (i.e., Plan B) is to continue conducting research on a contract basis to kill time during the next (and final) application cycle...you know what they say, "three strikes and you're out!" Preparation "H" is the most desireable situation...on the hole, it feels good...but it won't really feel good until the waiting "itch" has disappeared. God forbid I have to begin thinking of preparation "I", "J" or "K".

Peter

Guest peachy
3) Ottawa is my first choice...although the UWO and McMaster programs look very enticing...

Okay, you must have known SOMEBODY would ask :) Why UWO and McMaster and not Queen's or U of T?

Guest MayFlower1

To be honest...while Toronto is a great place to visit...I wouldn't want to live there right now. I find it very expensive...stressed out...also, based on discussions I have seen UofT tends to be a bit more competitive than I prefer (although I don't know this for a fact...based primarily on the experiences of others here and from those I know outside of the boards). So that's why not UofT. Queen's...well...I really don't have a great reason why not...I have just been a bit turned off by those I have interacted with from Queen's. I personally believe each school has it's climate...I really like the climate I've experienced with Mac, UWO and UofO people...climate is one of the most important factors for me when I choose to do anything that will involve tons of time and interaction with my peers. It would be really dreadful to have to work or attend school in an environment in which you're not comfortable. I guess I'm just ultra-careful about this one.

Peter

Guest misagh

Hello Peter, great idea for a thread!

How am I feeling? Well, my feelings about meds come in bursts these days. Sometimes, while I'm trying to go to bed at night, I suddenly feel a great swell of disappointment at myself, or a great sense that this year is not the year for me. Other times, at random points in my day, I suddenly get hit with intense happiness and anxiousness, thinking to myself, "Holy smokes, this could actually happen!" It's very unpredictable. As much as I try not to think about things, my dreams have constantly reminded me these past several months. These dreams bring back certain images and scenarios... all of them point to good things, but dreams are funny in that it is sometimes difficult to interpret them objectively... anyways...

What am I doing until the big day? Working, chilling with friends, enjoying the weather, haven't started working out like I said I would, but hopefully I'll do that soon (i don't think 1 and a half dimensional is healthy). I keep abreast of this board, lurking and contributing on occaison. You know, it's crazy, I work at the health sciences bldg at Ottawa U, so I see med students every day. Being in that building is like a teaser... you see what the students do, how they interact (at least the year 1 and 2 students, I'm not sure anyone sees the 3rd year students very much...) and it just keeps enticing you and reminding you of what may come to pass. Sorry for that tangent...

Hey Peter, slightly off topic, but I was reading a thread a while back about a package deal you and your wife and marketing for physicians who want to open a practice. I think that's a splendid idea. If I'm in a position of opening a practice I think I'd need something like that to help me. I have no background in starting up/operating an office, and you seem to have met with some success in this. Of course, listen to me, talking about this now, many years before I have to worry about these things (if ever). If and when you get accepted to meds, you may want to provide some sort of training as a service to your fellow students. Perhaps even as a fund-raiser or something, as I know the meds students are always looking for ways to boost funds for various student-run initiatives.

If I get in this year, I'd like to take July and August off and go travelling to either South America or Latin America. I have my sights set on either Honduras or Guyana, where I am aware of some socio-economic development projects happening. Some of them have community health as a component of the project. I've always wanted to learn spanish too. If meds isn't in the cards for this year, then I will continue during the summer preparing for my honours research. I have a great supervisor, I'm in a great lab, and it will be a tremendous learning experience.

Wow, I've just written an e-novel. If you've made it this far, hats off to you!

"You know Dr. Evil, I used to think you were crazy..."

"I know..."

"But now, I can see you're nuts....... ahhh thank you."

- m

Guest tappety tap

Hey misagh!

Can you beleive...I read the whoooole thing :) I am definitely having those up and down days that you speak of. When there's uncertainty like this, the mind can play such crazy games. When I'm not occupied with something, I often go off into med school dreamland. I have had some pretty funky dreams too about being in med school...I won't get into details on this board though :lol ....

Actually...I was thinking of going to a psychic...maybe a tarot card reader? nah...I guess I'll just wait a few more weeks and find out the conventional way along with everyone else.

Mel

Guest carletongirl

Hi guys,

I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would add my thoughts to this very interesting and personal discussion Peter has started.

My hopes are obviously to get into med school. However, I have really been thinking these past couple of months about which one I want to go to. Basically, it has now come down to location...do I really want to stay in Ottawa for another 4 years? I'm not sure that I want to...I think I would achieve a lot more personal growth if I moved away. So as it stands, it seems like Mac is my first choice. That said, it really depends on if I get into the schools and which school accepts me. And if I don't get in, I won't fret because I have a gut feeling that I will find what I am meant to do in good time. I know that to some people it seems a horrible idea that I may not be 100% sure about medicine, but how can you be so sure about anything in life? To me, it is better to take things a day at a time and have a good attitude about what life throws your way.

My back up plan is obviously to finish my honours degree and then maybe do a masters...there are so many possibilities.

As for how I'm "killing time", I am busy working 10 hour-days in Calgary...the lab I work in is great! And I've gotten pretty involved here doing some volunteering on the weekends. I probably wouldn't be even thinking about med, except that my roommate is also going through this process and is waiting to hear back from U of T.

Peter: Did you apply to Mac and UWO?

Misagh, I totally feel what you are saying about being teased by those med school students. I'm working in the building of U of C's med school and it is hard not to see med school students milling around at lunch. Also, I've been attending the grand rounds for the Neuroscience and Neurology departments...so it makes me wonder even more about my future.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear from all of you soon...hopefully good news ;)

Guest MayFlower1

Misaugh, carletongirl...great to hear from you! Carletongirl, it's great to hear things are going well for you out west...what a great experience!

ONLY 14 DAYS LEFT UNTIL D-DAY! Man, I can hardly wait to find out about everyone's status.

Peter

Guest carletongirl

Hey Peter,

So is the D in D-Day for Declined??! ;) And you didn't answer my question about whether or not you applied to Mac and UWO.

Guest MayFlower1

Hey carletongirl...

...nope...the "D", I believe, stands for "Discovery"...

...as for applying to UWO and Mac...nope...didn't apply to either this year or last.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Gulp...and the official pill-o-meter says...11 days left! Just think, after this short week...and a nice weekend...we'll be down to the crunch...5 DAYS LEFT!

Although I'm just as excited and filled with anticipation this year as last, thankfully, I'm not nearly as anxious. How about everyone else? Last year at this time I would eagerly wake up at 3:00am like a kid waiting for Christmas...this year I'm able to "sleep in" until 5:00am.

It does seem like an eternity, doesn't it...especially the last few weeks. There is definitely something to be said for the lottery method of choosing acceptees :eek Could you imagine, after passing the interview threshold, if you could get an answer within weeks?

Take care everyone...our answers will soon be closer to being answered.

Peter

Guest UofOhopeful

Hey, does anyone know at what time the emails will be sent out on Friday? Will all accepted applicants receive a form email (all accepted applicants' emails addresses in BCC)? Or will they send out 1 email / accepted applicant?

I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't mind receiving a form email.

Good luck to all!!

Guest MayFlower1

UofOhopeful,

I believe the email that is sent out is blind carbon copied to all those that are receiving a first-round offer. If my memory serves me correctly, the emails started going out first thing in the morning...first reports of acceptance emails started at about 11:00 or 11:30am on May 31st (the 31st was the last business day in May last year). We're lucky this year...they go out on May 30th!

One other thing...many people's emails from the school ended up in their junk mail folders because of auto junk mail scanner "errors" ...be sure to check your junk mail folder as well!

Peter

Archived