Premed 101 Forums

Need Help - NSERC/Sketch Related

benhc911

I've gotten a lot of well meaning advice about this topic, but it really has ended in frustration... so I'm reaching out for some help here!

I have just completed an NSERC USRA research position. It was in chemical engineering, thermodynamics specifically... and I was fortunate enough to do most of the work myself, including experimental design, operation of the apparatus, data collection and interpretation, and I am now working on authoring the paper. My supervisor told me that if I do the majority of the first draft, he would be comfortable putting me as first author on the paper! Huge for an undergrad like me... especially when the technology involved is very novel and highly efficient!

Anyways, more on topic... I don't have anything published, or even pending technically speaking at the moment... and my work ethic is sapped at the fact that I'm about to start another deathly overweighted year... so its just about impossible that it will get near that point before application season ends.

With all that in mind... how should I best talk about this in my sketch/how have you talked about it?

I can mention that I got the award, as an 'award', but aspects like qualifications, and competition are a little weird. NSERCs are handed out on weird, school specific (largely mark based) magic... but that doesn't give me any space to explain what I did. Since I was working for the NSERC full time (35 hours a week all summer...), I feel like I should describe it SOMEWHERE in my sketch right? Otherwise it looks like my summer was vacant... However, seeing as I was paid, I can't reasonably put it in volunteer work (until now, as my pay is completed, and I am still working...?)

AGHH basically, I just want to know if anyone else found a way to describe WHAT they did with their NSERC instead of just the fact that they got one!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived