Premed 101 Forums

Lab coats in med school?

side note - is there anything special about the labcoats that cause this spread? I mean is somehow a regular shirt less vulnerable?

Nothing special, but many people do not launder their lab coats daily, unlike their regular shirts. This gives them more time to accumulate bacteria on the coat.

Anyone know where I can get a lab coat for cheap (i.e. under $20)?

I, well...let's just say I don't have a lab coat anymore.

Carleton University sells their lab coats for $19. I'm not sure about uOttawa's prices, but if you ever find yourself on Colonel By, stop on by! The "science store" is located on the first floor of Stacie Building.

Personally I follow the "When in Rome" rule when it comes to the coat.

If the staff are wearing one, so do I. If they are not, you won't catch me dead in one -I don't want to be the only guy wearing one esp. as a student. Depending on what you are doing I must admit that the coat is very functional due to the pockets.

If I do wear a coat it goes right into the hospital laundry when I am done. Who wants a nasty used coat when you can get a fresh albeit starchy one. ;)

They have the short coats in Canada? I have only seen them in person in the US and Europe. Personally I don't care about its length. The coat is purely functional - like underwear... Sorta... If has pockets it can be useful.

I have seen the short coats in use at Alberta and Queens.. possibly McMaster and Calgary, but I can't remember exactly. As they serve to denote student status, in places where the short coat is in use, I think the tendency is to expect students to wear them regardless of what the staff choose to wear themselves. I will add that another function of the coat (short or long) is to drape elegantly over clothes that do not quite have that tailored fit.. useful for students on a budget.

Archived