Premed 101 Forums

A little Worried

xvidkid

Hey guys

I am a Natural science student looking to switch into a commerce program in the upcoming year. I have had some decent grades in my pre req classes ( Bio [A-.A-], Chem [b+,A] Physics[A-, A] ,OCHEM[A, A-]. I am just a little worried that my mind wont be wired for business and I will not be able to pull off good grades. Has anyone switched into commerce from science before? One of my friends told me that usually people who are good at science do not usually perform to the same level in business. Anyone has some useful information please share.

P.S. The reason I am switching is so that I have a degree to fall back in terms of a career in business in case medicine does not work out.

Thanks

I have no life exerience to share.

If you are motivated, as you are, and you have a serious work ethic as you appear to have, I see no reason why your grades shoiuld slip. Both require memorization, understanding and analytical skills. If others in the new program do well, you should too. You are already sensitive to GPA slippage and therefore, it is unlikely to occur. I assume you will take realtively easy electives to offset the more denanding core courses. Don't lket othere freak or psych you out. You will be fine. My 2 cents.

Best of luck and it is a smart move to have a Plan B, one that has potential interest for you. And if you need to work harder than last year, it is a relatively small price to pay for achieving what you need.

If you approach it from the perspective of "science mind" then you're going to psych yourself out for no reason. You have a mind capable of everything and anything. That being said 90% of grades (in my opinion) don't require any sort of mental prowess, they just require you be a good student and manage your studies appropriately. Put the time in and you'll have nothing at all to worry about!

Think about the first time you did chemistry. You couldn't have had an innate "quantum orbitals mind" but you studied and what you didn't get initially you just went over some more. It'll be the same thing with business.

To add another anecdote - I've had three friends do an MBA after a science degree (Biochem, Biochem, Chem) and they all found the material much easier to assimilate than a comparable amount of new science material. Less equations, more pronounceable words, etc.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I feel much better already. Now what do you guys think of someone transferring in their third year to another school( in another province) just to get in province status there. I was thinking maybe UBC?

FYI, UBC requires 3 full years of study in BC to be IP now.

Archived