Premed 101 Forums

Important differences between Canadian med schools?

BrackenClelk

Hi all,

First time poster here. A basic question, but as the title says, are there any important differences between the Canadian medical schools? My pre-med friends seems to treat them the same and gave me advice to that effect, but with difference admission standards (i.e. no pre-reqs, no mcat, at some schools), the overall length of the program (3 versus 4), plus the name/reputation and of the school itself, shouldn't there be a pseudo-"hierarchy", if you will, towards the schools? Or am I just looking too deeply and whatever differences are negligible?

Again, I'm just curious about this (premed newbie). Any information is welcome.

They are all excellent and receiving an acceptance at any one of them is a privilege and responsibility. Of course, anybody may have a preference for their first choice due to many factors, including proximity to home, style of education, etc. but it is wise to cast a wide net in applying as you never know where lightning will strike.

Sure, some people believe there is a hierarchy, but it's based on any given factor X that makes a school better than any other. It all depends on what your factor X is.

In the end, all Canadian schools graduate capable doctors. I wouldn't worry about the differences in terms of getting a medical education.

Archived