Premed 101 Forums

How should I approach this unpleasant conversation?

So when I started grad school I thought I wanted to fast track to PhD and told my supervisor so. However, over the last few months I've started to think about med school. Since I haven't decided I just want to get a master's and apply to both PhD and MD programs. The problem? I need to tell my supervisor I don't want to do PhD anymore and I don't know how to go about it properly. It has nothing to do with her or the lab. It's just me and me feeling like research and grad school might not be for me.

So when I started grad school I thought I wanted to fast track to PhD and told my supervisor so. However, over the last few months I've started to think about med school. Since I haven't decided I just want to get a master's and apply to both PhD and MD programs. The problem? I need to tell my supervisor I don't want to do PhD anymore and I don't know how to go about it properly. It has nothing to do with her or the lab. It's just me and me feeling like research and grad school might not be for me.

Just be honest. Say you're interested in the more clinical side of research and don't feel academia is the right path for you. He/she may be surprised, but probably not upset. And even if they are, it's your life. Just get it over with and do it early as it will be less of a shock for them when it's time for them to write you a reference letter, etc.

So you want to drop out of your PhD so you can apply to a PhD program? *confused*

So you want to drop out of your PhD so you can apply to a PhD program? *confused*

No, the OP is currently doing a masters, but the original intent was to reclassify to PhD after about a year's work on the masters or so.

Now the OP wants to get a masters over and done with, and reevaluate.

Everyone else here has pretty much covered it; be honest. Your prof will probably be more helpful than anything, and if they're not, well, to hell with them, you've got to take care of yourself!

Archived