Premed 101 Forums

Do one year master's degrees exist?

There was a thread on one year masters degrees but it was from a very long time ago....so I decided to start a new one.

I've done some research about course based masters degrees and there seems to be no masters degrees that are actually one year (the shortest I've found is 16 months...)

I'm just wondering because western does not let you apply in the middle of a masters degree and I want to peruse a masters, at the same time I would like to apply to medical school next year if I don't get in this year.

does anyone know if western will allow you to leave a 2 year course based masters for med school?

I looked up that as well. the MSc in epi is two years..... does anyone know any masters in Ontario that's one year? Which schools or programs should I be looking at is probably a better question...

http://www.queensu.ca/sgs/program/health-sciences/epidemiology.html

"Degrees Offered / Length of Program

M.Sc.: 2 years

Ph.D.: 4 years"

If you can afford it, schools in the states are an option. I'm in a one year masters of health science at Johns Hopkins at the moment.

"Academic MHS programs provide opportunities for advanced study and research. At a minimum, programs require 4 terms of full-time coursework, a written culmination such as a thesis, essay or other written exercise, and an oral presentation. Academic MHS programs are offered by the following departments of the School"

is four terms one year or two year? I'm at the university of western Ontario and we do semesters only...

• 3 weeks later...

University of Oxford in England has an MSc in Medical Anthropology lasting 1 year (2 semesters of classes, then 1 semester of exams and dissertation writing). Not sure about how it would work for funding with Canadian students, but I did the course with a lot of US students who had attracted sponsorship/funding from orgs such as Rotary. They all went on to marvellous things (Harvard med school etc.). It was a fascinating course, incidentally.

Archived