Premed 101 Forums

To V

Guest NBer

Hello there...

not sure how else to get this message to you.

I noticed from an old link, that you did some volunteering in S America last summer. I am looking to do some this summer, and wanted to ask you a few questions...if you don't mind.

Did you do it through YCI? If not, what are some other good agencies? You mentioned you colunteered for the red cross, did the red cross set it up?

As for logistics, did you fly into Guyana, and approx. how much did it cost? I was thinking of doing the June/July 5 week volunteering in Guyuana, but is pretty expensive when you add a flight on top of the $2700 YCI charges...any info/insight would be appreciated!

Cheers

Hey NBer,

Volunteering in Guyana was a great opportunity and I am glad you are interested in doing the same. However, with the political situation in Guyana, along with the increasing violence, many program directors are weary about sending volunteers to Georgetown. HOWEVER, if you are going to other areas in the country, they are safe and equally wonderful oppotunities to do good/gain great experience.

I did not work with YCI, although I have been told it is a great program and my friend that was also there with me last summer said she loved it!!!! I organized this directly with the red cross of Guyana. You can email me at vkapi066@uottawa.ca if you want more detail. I believe our flight cost ~ a grand, but living was taken care of due to prior family arrangements I had.

Hope this helps.

Guest Tasha000

Hey NBer,

If you go with YCI, you won't be spending too much time in Georgetown...this group travels to pretty remote areas, but you will have to fly into Georgetown. I know for YCI you do a lot of fundraising to cover your costs. They give you contact information of a number of groups that are willing to support your trip. So it depends on how much time you have to fundraise.

If you work with the Red Cross, you will be spending at least part of your time in Georgetown, which might be a little scary. I went with V to Guyana this past summer, and it was a lot of fun. However, we stayed with my relatives, which made things easier.

thanks V and tasha000

I am going to contact the YCI office, and find out if any of their programs in Guyana have been affected.

I appreicate your input, and if I have any more questions, I'll direct them to V's e-mail

Cheers

Guest Namgalsip

Hi NBer,

I went to Costa Rica on YCI and managed to fundraise my entire program. It was an amazing experience that literally changed my life (not trying to be dramatic here but it's true). I did write some comments about it on the premed general forum but I'm not sure exactly under which post. Feel free to private message me and I will answer any questions you might have about the program.

Nams

Archived