Premed 101 Forums

Confused?

Guest swimmer

Guest swimmer
OFFERS OF ADMISSION

Following the interview, preliminary rank order lists are drawn up based on the composite scores.

Candidates with the highest interview score will be offered first in the order of their composite score,

followed by those with the next highest interview score and so on. The admissions committee may

take other factors into consideration when ranking each candidate.

Can anyone explain to me what the above thing means? I thought that offers admission was based solely on the interview, but upon reading closer, it is also based on the "composite score." What is the composite score anyway?

Thanks!

Guest Tanya24

The composite score is 50% WGPA and 50% auto sketch. This score determines whether you get an interview. After the interview, people will be ranked by their interview scores. For people who get the same interview score, they will THEN be further broken down and ranked in order of their COMPOSITE scores.

So, let's say a bunch of people get a score of "4" (the higest possible score) on their interviews. They will then receive offers in order of their composite scores. Next on the list, the people who get a score of "3.9" on their interview will receive offers next in order of THEIR composite scores.

I have read conflicting threads about how interview are scored. Some say it goes in intervals of .25 (ie. 4, 3.75, 3.5) while others claim it goes by .1 (ie. 4, 3.9, 3.8). I don't know which to believe, but I am reasonably certain this is the gist of the interview score-composite score ranking system.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Guest martyb

Hi Swimmer

I just checked that again this morning and was also a bit confused. I can tell you that your composite score is the combination of wpga and detailed sketch score. Beyond that, eveything is speculation. I THINK that people with the best interview scores are given offers first, but within groups of tied interview scores, those with the highest composite score are given offers first. That would mean that your interview score is very important, but that your wpga and autobio details are not tossed out, but rather are used to break ties.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure you'll get other responses from more informed people.

Good luck!

marty

Guest swimmer
There is no modification of the basic admission requirements for any group except, based on the University’s

charter as a bilingual institution, in the case of students from under serviced areas and francophone candidates from

Ontario. These students are invited for interviews at a GPA level of 3.2, but go through the remainder of the selection

process as all other candidates. Final selection is based on a composite score of the interview rating and the GPA, with 50%

of the mark from each.

Hmm...what does that mean above?

Guest habra

I think a very good interview would profoundly increase ones chances as those who made the interview would have very similar wgpa and would have a similar score in the wgpa ranking (for instance they are all close to let say 45% plus or minus a few percentage points). On the other hand a good interview may get you 45% but a bad interview may get you only 10% of the interview component. Therefore if you have bad interview you will end up at the bottom of the list. On the other hand a good interview will put you on top.

Just my thoughts about it.

Guest Tasha000

Hi Swimmer,

I think this means that if you are Franco-Ontarian or from an underserviced area, you are considered for an interview with a lower GPA. On the other hand, if you are anglophone and/or from an urban area, a higher GPA is required for interview consideration.

Guest Tanya24

Hey swimmer,

That is true -- your geographic location affects your WGPA cutoff. If it meets the set cutoff (whatever it happens to be; 3.2 for francophones, 3.55 for underserviced, etc.) then your sketch is read. Then a composite score is assigned to your file (based on 50% sketch and 50% WGPA). Then the highest composite score recipients get interview offers.

However, this is where the "favouritism" (if you will) ends. Once we make it to the interview stage it doesn't matter where you live. The spirit of the regional cutoff policy is to "give a chance" to those whose GPAs may otherwise disqualfy them. If they have stellar sketches, they could still end up with a decent composite score and get an interview.

Hope this helps! Good luck everyone, T.

Guest UOMeds05

Hi all,

I am pretty sure that Tanya24 is exactly right. Once the interviews are over, applicants are grouped together according to their interview scores (out of 4) and then arranged according to their composite score (out of 4) starting at 4 and decreasing. Offers of admission will be sent to the first 135 students. Therefore, the interview has the potential of counting 100% for an offer of admission if for example only 50 ppl get a 4.0 in the interview. No matter the composite score (GPA and sketch) these 50 will get an offer.

So as suggested, the composite score will only come into play when it comes time to draw the line at 135... those with the higher score will get the offer.

As far as the francophone admission process goes, I am pretty sure that nothing is different. The only thing is that it is the mandate of the school to provide and teach francophone students, therefore, due to a smaller population, the cut-off GPA may be less than that of the anglophone stream, no matter the geographical area... (as low as 3.2 according to the above post). I do know however, that although the cut-off for interview may be lower on the francophone side, the usual class make-up is quite similar with respect to GPA... reportedly.

Archived