Premed 101 Forums

Ortho programs

• 4 months later...
Don't quote me on this, because it's second-hand info, but I've heard that the grads that failed were all Saudi. Is that true?

awww... well the CMG ortho residents that I've met all seem pretty good. I'm not too sure about the residents in the program who are Saudi and who are funded by their government though. There's definitely a difference in culture and I've had to walk away from conversations because of things that were said by some of these folks.

I'm definitely happy they'll be going back after their training! :)

Mac took 5 Canadian grads a couple years ago when I applied. Many of us had it low on our list because of the thought that there simply wouldn't be enough operating time with 5 residents per year as well as an IMG and some Saudi residents.

Two per year might be too few, but too few is certainly better than too many. My caution to those applying would be that Mac would still be quite top heavy (ie lots of guys looking to get their reps in in the years above you because with lots of residents they haven't had the opportunity). I have no first hand experience with Mac, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Currently, the Mac website says there are only 2 spots for ortho residents... did they decrease their enrolment recently due to the whole accreditation thing? In the past, carms says they take like 7 or 8 a year.

interesting .. do you know where on their website it lists 2 spots ... cuz according to the current carms website, they have 9 spots total (7 CMG, 2 IMG)

yeah that looks a bit more reliable to me... not sure why the mac website says just 2 spots... oh well - thanks for sharing!

Any opinion as to this statement:

We are looking for and rewarding applicants who have completed a broad range of electives which include our specialty.

I've heard opinions that one should try to do almost all their electives in their specialty of choice - but this clearly contradicts that. How diverse is good or bad?

Diverse is good, but be smart with your diversity. Obviously you'll want to do enough ortho electives at different places so you can show your interest and willingness to move, but there are some electives you can work to your advantage. For example, physiatry (great for physical exam skills), sports medicine, radiology (someone's gotta find the fracture), general surgery, trauma or even rheumatology because of its strong emphasis on MSK.

Any opinion as to this statement:

We are looking for and rewarding applicants who have completed a broad range of electives which include our specialty.

I've heard opinions that one should try to do almost all their electives in their specialty of choice - but this clearly contradicts that. How diverse is good or bad?

Many schools require that you have at least two weeks in three different specialities for electives. The "broad range of electives which include our specialty" line is kind of crap, in my opinion. They don't really look for that. Everyone understands that students are required to do a couple different electives, but if you've had 10 weeks of electives and have only done 2 or 3 weeks of ortho in that time, you're going to be behind those who have done more. It's also not hard to figure out who is backing up with orthopaedics but really wants to do Gen Surg or Plastics. If you have a couple electives in Plastic Surgery, many will figure you want Plastics and are just applying to ortho to cover your butt.

Having said all that, the most important thing you can do in clerkship is figure out what you want to do, so if it takes electives in 5 different things to figure it out, do them.

Having said all that, the most important thing you can do in clerkship is figure out what you want to do, so if it takes electives in 5 different things to figure it out, do them.

Thanks for your input. If one does the above though, won't there be a problem actually matching into the specialty you have found you enjoy? (since you'll only have 1 elective in it)

Archived