Premed 101 Forums

About cut-off for this year...

Guest misagh

Hello all,

I'm wondering when we'll receive word about the cutoffs for Ottawa residents this year... do they disclose this sometime in the middle of the school year or do we have to wait until the end of the school year?

Thnx in advance...

Guest med2006McGill

Hi there,

You should find out about the cut-off when they send out interview invitations (sometime in Feb I think). Last year, they scheduled the interviews alphabetically.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi all,

It seems like the Ottawa U. people are hard at work. I surprisingly just received a note from the Ottawa U. offices (from one of their administrators) stating that the 2003 regional WGPA cut-off has been set at 3.60/4. I am assuming that they are defining "regional" as Ottawa-area, but I have requested clarification. I've also requested the cut-off for non-Ottawa-area applicants.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi everyone,

Here's an update as to this year's U. Ottawa WGPA cut-offs for the various applicant categories:

Franco-Ontario applicants: 3.20

Aboriginal applicants: 3.20

Underserviced areas in Ontario (Algoma, Kenora, Parry Sound, Sudbury): 3.55

Ottawa-region: 3.60

Rest of Ontario: 3.83

Other provinces: 3.87

I hope this brings some good news.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Tanya24

The numbers seem to be quite close to the ones from last year. I suppose this means the quality of the applicant pool really hasn't changed much despite the greater # of apps. Kirsteen, thanks very much for sharing these important (and anxiety-provoking :) ) figures. Good luck to all!

Thanks so much for posting that Kirsteen!! How did you get your hands on that info?!?!

I guess for those of us fortunate enough to make the cut-off, we're still not guaranteed an interview. Cause there's still the ever mysterious evaluation of our detailed autiobio sketch. Am I correct in saying this? I just remember last year people not getting interviews whose GPA's were well above the cutoff for their specific region.

Regardless, that's one less hoop to jump through now I guess! :)

Guest UOMeds05

Hey all,

Ottawa has never kept their cut-off marks secret as far as I know... once they are decided they have been quite liberal at letting them out. They are very much in the ball-park of previous years.

It is not so much that the applicant pool hasn't changed, it is that Ottawa did not want the big increase in applications this year to greatly affect the cut-off marks. They really believe that marks are only one aspect of your profile. Now, the sketches will be evaluated and the top whatever (usually in the area of 450-500) will be invited for an interview. Marks aren't everything, just a small part of the big picture. This is where all of your volunteering, life experience etc. comes into play. It is a big component.

Letters should be out soon... they have been preparing the phone list and billeting lists from us, to provide you, so they should be going out in the next few weeks.

Good luck everyone, hope to see you in Ottawa in the next few months!!

Hey Peter...I think that keeping your eyes crossed for that long might do some serious damage...:P Best of luck...may you get the letter that you are hoping for!

Andrea

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks so much aneliz...

If I do interview at UofO this year I plan on doing things quite differently during my interview...I learned a lot last year from my own experiences during the interview...from post-interview introspection and from the tons of great info gleaned from people like yourself on this board.

Thanks again for your continued encouragement.

Peter

No problem Peter! I wish that more repeat applicants would take the time to do the things that you have done this year and learn from their past experiences. (Rather then grouching about 'unfair policies' and conspiracy theories...;) ) I have faith that you will be successful this year...and the guidance, advice and mature insight that you have provided to others on this board are greatly appreciated by both your fellow applicants and the moderators.

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks aneliz...

I hope you're right about getting accepted this year. I hope I have introspected in areas which will make a big difference in my interview, again, should I be lucky enough to get one this year.

While I've got your eye, here is my basic strategy this year:

1) Don't spend a lot of time on my academic achievements...my application and academic record will speak for itself.

2) Attempt to spend more time on:

a) the fact that I'm bilingual (a plus for U of O)

B) 12+ years of applied research experience and the fact that I would inevitably participate in research during my education;

c) volunteering with the low vision clinic in montreal, and currently, with Saint John Ambulance and Dr. Tom Faloon (family practice)

d) motivation for wanting to leave a good career to go back to medical school

e) extracurriculars (i.e., balanced life style)

f) the fact that a medical career would complete the loop in my interest in the human condition...being a psychologist I am quite comfortable with the Social and Psychosocial aspects of healthcare and the final "leg", the "physical" would enable me to provide holistic care.

g) broad range of experience being an older applicant and how this would impact my ability to contribute unique value/perspectives to my classmates and the medical community in general.

What do you think about these broad areas? Anything else you would recommend? Anything you would recommend to avoid talking about?

Your insight and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

That sounds great Peter! If I were interviewing and that package was delivered well, I'd probably give it top marks - I can't think of anything more I'd want in a medical student.

Guest UOMeds05

Hey Peter,

I know that your comments were not directed at me, but thought that I would give you my 2 cents... please ignore if you see fit.

I don't really know what the "best" or "sure-shot" approach to succeeding in the interview, but based on my experience and those of some of my fellow classmates, I am not so sure that you should walk in there with an agenda. As you know from your previous interview, there are many questions, dealing with a whole range of topics that the interviewers at Ottawa are going to ask you. I would imagine that the best interviewee would be the applicant that sells themself with finesse and appearance of not selling a thing. I am not sure that the interviewers really want to hear how involved and successful you are, or all of your accomplishments... they either already know from your app, or assume at least that since you are there for an interview. I truly believe, again from experience, and just by looking at the make-up of my classes and the other 3 classes, that they want to see that you are:

a) someone that people enjoy being around

B) confident and articulate

c) not going to crack under the pressures of medical school and ultimately a career in medicine

d) someone that has other interests than just getting into medicine, studying etc.

e) ultimately, just down-to-earth genuine individuals

I think in the end you just need to be yourself. If you walk in too prepared, too rehearsed and with too much of a mission, that can come across as an insecurity. don't forget, there will be a medical student on your interview panel, we remember what it is like so try and think of it from their point of view.

I think this is the best approach... like i said, take it with a grain of salt... it is only my opinion.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Peter,

Time to add my two cents worth...

First, I agree with UOMeds2005 that you don't want to have an obvious 'agenda' for the interview as you don't know how the interviewers will react to that...remember that it is ultimately more of a 'get to know the person' interview then a 'sales-pitch business' interview (I don't know if what I am getting at is at all clear...) Looking back, I can see now that my two interviews were more like a medical interview (as a phyisician would interview a new patient to find out about their life, social situation, family, job, education, interests, etc) then a job or business interview in which they are looking for you to 'sell yourself' and prove that your achievements are better then the next person's. The interviewers are more looking for ideas, feelings and motivations then for achievements, awards, etc. Of course they will want you to back up these ideas and motivations and other personal qualities with some kind of substance (ie involvement in activities, volunteering, overcoming adversity of some sort...etc). As mentioned by UOmeds, having an agenda of achievements in the way you would for a business interview may be viewed as an insecurity or alternatively as dominance or an inability to react appropriately to the situtation..and both not good! That said, I don't think that you intended the points that you listed to be an 'agenda' like this. And, I DO think that it is important to consider things that you would like to raise in an interview before it happens...its a part of preparing for an interview...you need to do some introspection, anticipate some questions and decide HOW you are going to answer them and WHY you are going to answer like that - but at the same time you don't want to sound rehearsed or phony....For me, this process involved thinking about what characteristics of myself I most wanted to get across to the interviewers and then thinking of an activity or experience in my life that demonstrated this characteristic. If you do this, you will find it very easy to work these important experiences and characteristics into the answers to many different questions that they may ask...We all have the ability to steer our interviewers to topics that we want to discuss however, it is also important that you answer the questions that they ask and don't try to 'de-rail' the interview to suit your own purposes....going off on your own tangent won't win you points! (Not that I am suggesting that you did this or intend to do this....)

I think that the points that UOMeds listed as what the interviewers seem to be looking for are bang on. The only thing that I would add is they also tend to look for people that have a demonstrated ability to deal with some sort of adversity...especially dealing with people under difficult circumstances...for reasons that are obvious to you I'm sure! Personally, if I had to interview again (which thankfully I won't have to do until CaRMS...) I would take the list that UOMeds provided, and think about how I could show the interviewers that I am all of those things...think of a specific example from your life (like volunteering, or your past work experience, or even a family experience) that illustrates that characteristic in you. Then, as the interview progresses, make sure that you use these examples that you thought of in your answers to various questions...should be very easy to do! Then you are prepared without having to anticipate too many questions or sounding like you have rehearsed answers.

The list that you presented is fantastic as well...It looks like you have spent a lot of time thinking and you have a wide variety of experiences! I would agree that you should not spend any more time then absolutely necessary (ie what they directly ask you) on your academic record or history. I'm sure that your 'past work life' will likely come up as well given that you are an older applicant...but I wouldn't dwell on either of those points either (being a mature applicant or your past employment history). This isn't to say that these things shouldn't be brought up...just that you should aim to use them only as a means of illustrating some aspect of your personality that would satisfy one of UOMed's points. Given the list that you presented, I would focus on your volunteering and extracurriculars as well as your motivation to pursue medicine as a career....all of the other areas, while they are an essential part of you (and will contribute to your success -don't get me wrong) will likely be viewed as less important by the interviewers. Make sure you know what personality traits or characteristics of you (and I'm talking like the 'touchy, feely' kind here not the achievements) that you especially want to get across are. Then make sure that you have an example of an activity or experience to illustrate them and substantiate your claim that you have them....that's the best advice I have...it worked for me! If you can present this package well to the interviewers, you should have a very good chance - and you more then deserve it....

I hope that this is helpful to you....I know that it is long!

Good luck Peter!

Andrea

Guest MayFlower1

UOmeds05, Andrea,

I want to start off by saying that you never have to worry about offending me. I always assume that you two, and most others on this board, are being helpful and bringing things to the table to provoke thought and help people realize different perspectives. Thank-you for always being honest and direct.

You are correct in assuming that I was never planning on bringing a "hard business agenda" to the interview, nor was I ever planning to position these things as making me "better than another candidate". I was amazed by the quality of applicants I met last year at my interview...each person I met was unique and incredible in their own way. I felt quite humbled by the people I met on my interview day.

That being said, your posts gave me a good "whack on the side of the head" (in the most positive and helpful sense imaginable). An author by the name of Roger von Oech wrote a book called just that..."A whack on the side of the head". His book contains useful tools which literally provide you with the necessary "whack" to get you out of habitual thought patterns and allow you to look at what you’re doing in a fresh and creative way. You have done just that for me.

Your posts are two of most valuable posts I've read since I first started lurking in this forum. They literally scraped the saturated, rose-coloured, paint off my glasses to the point where I can "see" again. I was so busy justifying or "selling" my academic and professional accomplishments last year that I didn't give the interviewers a chance of seeing WHO I really am.

The demand characteristics in the business world I have lived in for the past decade or so literally caused you to "hide" many of these very desireable human characteristics that you talk about as they are often not received well in a "professional and business-like atmosphere". In order to be successful, many people choose to be cold and unfeeling, focussed only on business and ignoring outside interests, family, etc., and unsupportive/competitive. This is most likely why I have not felt satisfied or happy in this business world as I am the antithesis of these types of individuals...I am caring, compassionate, honest and genuine. I always default to people and relationships because at the end of the day...when we are on our individual death beds, you can be assured we won't be thinking of our academic accomplishments...how many product patents we have...etc. I know I'll be thinking about "people"...those I love...my friends...people.

I am extremely comfortable with the list that you posted UOmeds05...it's no wonder that I didn't get into med school last year as I don't believe I demonstrated 90 percent of the characteristics in this list. All of the applicants are incredible academically and in many other ways...the stuff in this list is what will truly differentiate the wheat from the chaff.

a) someone that people enjoy being around

B) confident and articulate

c) not going to crack under the pressures of medical school and ultimately a career in medicine

d) someone that has other interests than just getting into medicine, studying etc.

e) ultimately, just down-to-earth genuine individuals

I think I finally know what it means to "be yourself" during the interview.

Thank you UOmeds05 and Andrea for these nuggets of gold.

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks once again for your support. I sincerely appreciate it. I think we're due for a beer or 20 soon...drop me a line when you get into town.

Peter

Guest coldspell

Hi, I was just wondering what U of O considered "underserviced". I'm from Waterloo, which is techinically underserviced but not small, rural or northern. Would I be held to the 3.55 or 3.83 cutoff?

Thanks alot, this board is great.

I called the admissions office with the same question and they told me that Kitchener-Waterloo is not considered underserviced. You will need the 3.83 cut-off.

Guest camillefr

admissions told me ottawa region (cutoff 3.6) is:

------------------------------------------------------------

Ottawa (english only)

&

Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais-Québec (english & french)

------------------------------------------------------------

good luck ottawa!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived