Premed 101 Forums

Final Transcripts

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

Last year I submitted only my undergraduate transcripts whereas this year I submitted both my undergrad and MA transcripts. Does anybody know if the adcoms will even consider my MA transcripts during the selection process to determine who will get interviews or will they just consider my undergrad transcripts?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I'm not really sure what you mean re: "submitting" your transcripts, but if you're referring to having transcripts sent to OMSAS, I'm under the assumption that applicants don't have a choice in which transcripts to send. That is, each applicant is supposed to forward ALL transcripts for any university/college courses ever taken at the time of application.

With respect to evaluation of those transcripts, each school considers transcripts from different degrees differently, Ottawa included. You might want to give them a shout if your Masters degree course marks differ greatly from your undergrad course marks. I know that Ottawa supposedly want to see 85% in each grad course if you don't meet the undergrad cut-offs, but given that you met the undergrad cut-offs last year, that may not be a problem. Better asking than being caught unawares.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks Kirsteen,

We actually did have a choice with respect to which transcripts were sent to OMSAS on the transcript request order form. Last year I only sent my undergrad transcripts but this year I decided that it could only help to send my graduate transcripts as well.

Thanks again for the point of view.

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Peter,

Actually, be careful not to mix personal point of view with prescribed OMSAS procedure. Just to make sure that no-one misunderstands the correct procedure and requirements for transcripts, I'll describe what I've just read. Regarding transcripts for OMSAS, there are at least two choices with respect to how transcripts may be sent to OMSAS, i.e., via the transcript request section of their on-line application whereby you ask OMSAS to retrieve your transcripts for you, or via the applicant contacting their alma mater themselves and ordering the transcripts to be sent to OMSAS. However, no applicant has a choice with respect to which specific transcripts must be received by OMSAS. ALL postsecondary transcripts must be submitted to OMSAS at the time of medical school application. This includes all undergrad courses, grad courses, college courses, courses taken in foreign postsecondary institutions, good marks, bad marks... In short, OMSAS requires transcript(s) (no matter how it's sent) that encompass your entire postsecondary academic history. (Take a look at the OMSAS 2003 bulletin, page 3, under "General Instructions, Transcripts".)

A scary example: I believe there was someone who posted last year or the year prior, recounting a case at UofT where a student had withheld part of their postsecondary academic history during application. They were accepted to UT meds and began classes, but sometime thereafter, it was discovered that they had not divulged their entire academic history during application (which was deemed to be a case of falsifying information on the medical school application). The student was ejected from the medical program. Not a good situation to be in given they would also have to divulge in following years' applications that they had been chucked out of a medical school already. Yikes.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

That's interesting...perhaps my grad records DID go with my undergrad transcripts last year. I assumed that since I did not apply to the MD/PhD program that I would only be evaluated on my undergrad transcripts. Perhaps they do receive both but only use the grad transcripts if you don't make the GPA cut?

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Peter

P.S. How are things going? Have you finished all your applications yet? Which schools have you applied to?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again Peter,

Generally, if your undergrad and grad degrees were completed at the same school then one transcript may include them all. This is the case at UofT as my undergrad and grad courses are encapsulated within one transcript, but I'm not sure about other schools.

Every school seems to evaluate undergrad and grad marks differently--Ottawa included. Ottawa will only include your grad marks in the WGPA if you do not meet the cut-off with your undergrad marks, as far as I know. This probably won't be a problem for you given that you passed their cut-off last year, although the cut-offs change from year to year.

On applications in general, I'm still toiling away. UBC's deadline is fast approaching, as are the others, actually! As to which schools are up to bat this year: UBC, Calgary, perhaps Alberta, Manitoba, UT, Ottawa, Queen's, and perhaps Dal. It's a little more complicated of a process this year compared to last, and hopefully, third time lucky.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived