Premed 101 Forums

Should I Apply?

preppy038

I am an OOP applicant.

I am contemplating on whether to apply or not because there are only 8 seats allotted for OOP applicants.

My academics are alright, CGPA 3.91 and MCAT 36R,

but my non-academics aren't as stellar as other applicants to medicine (average)

a bit of research experience

a bit of leadership experience

average volunteer experience (locally)

Can anyone give a share of words?

Also, can anyone share how mcgill evaluates their applicants???

Thanks in advance!

I am an OOP applicant.

I am contemplating on whether to apply or not because there are only 8 seats allotted for OOP applicants.

but my non-academics aren't as stellar as other applicants to medicine (average)

Thanks in advance!

Jesus... With those stats, I don't even know why you are asking! Of course there will be always numbers that seem daunting, but how many times will you apply to medicine in your entire life? How many essays have you written that took 10 times the amount of work you'll put in for an application? This is chump change and time for buying into a "lottery" with huge rewards. Apply!

They evaluate you on your Personal Narrative (Essay), your references, your autobiography, and your grades.

-Your grades certainly have an impact, but with the grades you have, your a dime a dozen, so it shouldn't be a problem.

-Your references would usually be strong, so again, as long as they are strong, they are a dime a dozen.

-Your autobiography, certainly has an impact, but what are you going to find on most applicants. Research, volunteer, leadership, work, sports, ect. Something that is also a dime a dozen and i'm sure that the adcom realizes that not everyone is afforded the same opportunities in life.

-Your personal narrative, thats what I think matters most, because as long as you pour your soul into it, you have a good chance. This is the only part of your application that will distinguish you from the others. The adcom is interested in admitting individuals that are committed to not only upholding the reputation of the profession but also improving the profession and bringing new insights, not someone who just wants to wear the pants and do what he's got to do, because thats a dime a dozen.

Lastly, as the last posters has said, take at a shot at it, because he's right. Opportunity is knocking at your door, if you open it, you will find out the outcome, if you close it shut, youll spend the rest of your life wondering what could have been. And in the end, what happens if your application is rejected? will you face embarrassment? shame? or will future oppourtunities be lost? no. You apply, and if you get in and become the best darn doc you can, and if you don't, you walk away as if nothing happened.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, so I'm looking for some feedback about where you all might think I stand.

I'm an OOP applicant to McGill.

cGPA: not super, 3.73 (due to 2 bad courses that dragged down my GPA in my 2nd year...), now finishing a research-based MSc, with a health research graduate scholarship

MCAT: not written, optional for OOP canadian applicants

EC: very strong. 4.5 years of hospital volunteering in 1 hospital, 1 year of volunteering in another hospital (times did overlap for a bit, both positions involve patient contact and bedside interaction), 3 years of research experience in undergrad + MSc research. exec member in 3 societies at university (1 position as president of that society), play music in a concert band at university for 4 years, volunteering at the local food bank for 3 years. currently 1 journal article in press for publication (first author), 1 currently being prepared, also first author (both from MSc research), and possibly 2 articles being prepared by other lab members to which I contributed, maybe 2nd or 3rd author?. lots of awards: scholarships from the university, NSERC undergrad research award, attended one research conference to present undergrad research.

Jobs: worked on sustainability/environmental initiatives at my university, worked as a research assistant in a lab and on a clinical study at the hospital

Leadership experience: primarily through exec roles in univ student societies. no sports...

I realize my cGPA is on the low side for an OOP applicant, but I am hoping that my strong ECs, leadership experience, grad degree and research exprience will help compensate for that and at least score me an interview?

Also, do you think it would strengthen the application if my grad degree supervisor is an MD/PhD and writes me a reference with those credentials?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help with this decision.

They evaluate you on your Personal Narrative (Essay), your references, your autobiography, and your grades.

-Your personal narrative, thats what I think matters most, because as long as you pour your soul into it, you have a good chance. This is the only part of your application that will distinguish you from the others. The adcom is interested in admitting individuals that are committed to not only upholding the reputation of the profession but also improving the profession and bringing new insights, not someone who just wants to wear the pants and do what he's got to do, because thats a dime a dozen.

NS87, your Masters degree is also very important as is that strong reference from your grad supervisor!

You definitely have a shot, your gtraduate degree is an important boost. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I am an OOP applicant.

Thanks in advance!

I have stats that are very similar to yours and I'm wondering if I should apply as well. My ECs are average as well with a little more research though. I'm sure at least a quarter of the 600 or so OOP applicants have 3.9+ GPAs and 35+ MCAT scores (assuming that mcgill is going to attract the most competitive candidates across the country). But considering this pool of applicants alone, it would still be 1 in 5 chance of landing an interview. I would still apply if I didn't have to bother my referees once more. I have already applied to a number of schools that each require their own reference letters, and I don't want to bother them for another one. It would have been nice if Mcgill required reference letters once you landed an interview (like UBC). Anyways, I'm wondering how many of you out there are in a similar situation.

OP, you're on what I'd consider the BARE minimum to get accepted (not just interviewed) as an OOP. McGill will always consider your academics strongly, yet still expect you to be stellar in all other areas. Thats just because they can. Remember ~1/3 of the interviewed got accepted so looking at the interview averages might not be what you should be aiming for.

I'm OOP for class of 2014 and I had a 3.94 and 36R. So far of the OOPs I've met in the class I have the lowest MCAT. I think I made it in (barely, late off the waitlist) cause my application really didn't have that major fault that most applicants have. I had good research experience (no pubs but did conference presentations and stuff), good hospital experience, good volunteer experience, some rather unique extracirriculars, good biography, etc. And my interview wasn't too bad. lol

EDIT: After seeing Mithril's post on pg1 on the interview stats I bbm'd my OOP friend and told him he was 9 of 599 to get in. His response: "I eat standardized tests for breakfast". LMAO! So true given his mcat. :P

Here are OOP stats for McGill 2010:

* Number of applicants: 599

* Number of interviewed candidates: 30

* Lowest GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.64

* Average GPA of interviewed candidates: 3.92

* Average MCAT score (numerical) of interviewed candidates: 36.9

Are you kidding me? :eek: Average MCAT of interviewed is / was 37? That has got to be the highest in the whole North America...

I suspect there will be more applicants this year just because of the no MCAT policy. If it hits 1000 with 10 spots that's a 1% acceptance rate lol.

Archived