Premed 101 Forums

High yield way to learn anatomy?

I'm a medical school that doesn't expose us to as much anatomy as I'd like.

What's a high yield way to self-teach yourself anatomy? There must be more buying an atlas and looking at it? At the very least, are there any good online sites?

D'oh! There appears to be a wealth of information on this topic..but if you just search "anatomy" in topic titles. I'd still appreciate feedback though :)

In what ways does your school not expose you to enough anatomy? Is it a lack of theoretical classes? A lack of compulsory readings? Not enough or no prosection/dissection? A lack of all the above?

Also is it only gross anatomy or is it also embryology, histology and neuroanatomy (gross and brainstem slides)?

• 1 month later...
In what ways does your school not expose you to enough anatomy? Is it a lack of theoretical classes? A lack of compulsory readings? Not enough or no prosection/dissection? A lack of all the above?

Also is it only gross anatomy or is it also embryology, histology and neuroanatomy (gross and brainstem slides)?

A lack of all of the above really. But we've started to get more into it now that we're in a different Block.

I'm still trying supplement it though. It helps for shadowing certain specialties.

I'm a medical school that doesn't expose us to as much anatomy as I'd like.

What's a high yield way to self-teach yourself anatomy? There must be more buying an atlas and looking at it? At the very least, are there any good online sites?

D'oh! There appears to be a wealth of information on this topic..but if you just search "anatomy" in topic titles. I'd still appreciate feedback though :)

If you don't mind me asking, what shool do you go to and what year are you in?

The only reason I ask is that there are different options for practical experience depending on the school you are attending.

A lack of all of the above really. But we've started to get more into it now that we're in a different Block.

I'm still trying supplement it though. It helps for shadowing certain specialties.

If you are trying to figure out anatomy for inside the OR, a really good way to figure stuff out (and also learn how the procedures work) is to look through the definitive text for that surgical specialty.

If you are going to watch a ACL repair, flipping through that section of Campbell's ortho to learn how the operation is done helps much more that just staring at anatomy plates.

• 2 weeks later...
should've went to UofT... we're exposed to so much anatomy it's ridiculous... anatomy final is going to be brutal

You'll appreciate it when you're asked what's the blood supply to the different parts of the bowel and the layers of the abdominal wall in clerkship during gen surg...although if you're like me (and I imagine half of the class), you'll probably have forgotten it by then.

Archived